worldtrotter's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Choosing a camera

Hi all!

I am planning to get a camera in the near future but I never bought one. I use to take pictures with one old MANUAL Cannon camera, which allowed me to do all tricks with time, light and film sensitivity.  Can anybody guide/ suggest brands. models and, if not too much, prices for a NON-PRO camera?

I thank you very much in advance!

WT

4 comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Choosing a camera

Hi @worldtrotter, based on what you capturing. If you would like to take pictures only for Google Map, you can use your phone or Sony RX100 Mark 5. If you want to take a professional pictures you may consider DLSR camera. 

Level 6

Hi worldtrotter 🙂

If you are at all serious about photography, I would be tempted to buy an entry level DSLR  (you'll be able to mess with those time, light, & film sensitivity settings).

Example makes and models are: Nikon D3500, Canon EOS1300D, do check other makes too like Sony or Pentax etc... You could save a little cash if you buy 'last years' model or the year before that eg D3300, D3100 or save even more if you opt for a second hand camera.

What I really recommend, If you can, is to get down to your nearest store that sells cameras and play with a few, each make/model will feel a little different and you might find yourself preferring one over an other. On prices - Always shop around.

Keep some money back to buy a good book about photography techniques, such as Bryan Peterson's excellent 'Understanding Exposure'.

And join one or two forums that are specifically for photography, very useful - you can post photos and ask for tips on how to improve, things like that.

All the best

James

Level 6

Hi James,

Your advice looks very useful. I will check these cameras, as well as other similar ones, and play with them a little bit before buying any. Many thanks for the extra tip about the book. I am interested in refreshing my past knowledge. So the book will work as well.

Regards,

WT

Level 6

Hi Yayagreeman,

Thank you too for this advice. I will definitively take a look at these models.

Best,

WT