cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 4 tips for taking great photos

Hey YanniY.....

Really these are very useful Tips for Local Guides. Mostly for beginners. Your Edits are Appreciate and helpful for our local guides community......

Hence, keep editing. 

Level 1
Level 1

Sometimes you may want to use the raw/jpg method. This is the best of two worlds. If your raw is too large to keep on your camera, especially your phone, you can delete it and still have the same picture, but in a smaller jpg file. I use raw/jpg in just about everything I shot with my camera, but sadly I can't use raw in my phone.

Suggestion for zoom photography, go to a location and under different lighting conditions or times of day, if outside, shot the same distant object with all of you zoom settings; place the pictures on your computer, not your phone, as screen is too small, and review the pictures looking for clarity in distance details. Using your computer zoom into areas of your pictures to find the ones that have the best clarity in each different lighting condition. This will give you an idea of the zoom length that your phone shoots best at. Yes, it is time consuming, but well worth it when your zoom pictures come out clear instead of fuzzy because you over zoomed. Keeping your phone or camera steady is very important in zoom photography.

Last, your phone flash only lights about 3 to 5 feet in front of the phone, so using a flash at any greater distance is just a waste of battery power. Experiment in different lighting conditions. Someone suggested using a napkin as a refuser. This is a great idea as it helps to remove the harshness of a flash. These tricks and others work with all flashes, phone or camera. Google DIGITAL PHOTO for many other suggestions. Experiment, learn your photo device's limits, you can practice in your house and yard, and you will be well rewarded.

This all sounds like a lot of work, but if you begin to get better pictures by doing these simple things it will be well worth your time. 

Most of you probably know all of this, but hopefully this will help at least one person.

Level 3

What happens when one of the photos uploaded to Google Maps is used for journalistic purposes, downloaded and published in another social network with a context that the reporter wants to give. Is it in violation of copyright?

Level 5

@MhS wrote:

Thanks for the tips Yanni

Thanks for providing excellent photography tips.I will use these tips and experience new horizon s in photography. -

@MhS wrote:

Thanks for the tips Yanni

Mahesh Sardana

Level 7

@EnriqueR Great question — any chance you've come across a 'solution' elsewhere? I'm quite curious myself... 

Level 10

Great article.   As a non-photographer,  I have submitted many photos to Google Maps.  Unhappy with some  of  them for one reason or the other.  Your tips will certainly be useful to me  in the future.  Many thanks.