ChristyFromCanada's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

I want to put the local place names on small un-named islands and lakes.

How may I name the lakes that are not recognized because they are the local names used for 75 years?

I am a seniour citizen of this Country, with a major/degree in Geography and  my Hon.BA from UWO.anda MA. from WSU. in Detroit Michigan, USA.                I would like to contribute, by finding out the local/old names for all the small lakes and islands in this region of Ontario, that I know well from all the years growing up in Espanola and all the summers of my life in the Lake Penage region.

But I am new and inexperienced with this app. Can I please label the unnamed lakes and the small islands named locally by the settlers? These names never made it to the Government maps. Too insignificant back when they were mapping the Province of Ontario.

Today, we need some names, like of unnamed bridges. These places help people to find their way around in this beautiful Province. If Google Maps Canada could let us, the little people on the ground, actually put names on

ChristineBrandon
207 Sheppard Street, Espanola, ON, Canada
29 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: I want to put the local place names on small un named islands and lakes.

Hallo @ChristyFromCanada,

you need to go the official way. This is what @ErmesT  (a connect moderator) wrote in an other post: 

„The solution is in this case at a higher level.

Public institutions are allowed to have a direct interaction with Google, submitting their own updated map.

https://maps.google.com/help/maps/mapcontent/basemap

Follow the link, you will be surprised“

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 6

naming un-named lakes and. islands too small to be of interest to the official gov. so far.

I intend to document the old local names of small islands and lakes that the gov. ignored. They remain undocumented and now that I am retired, I have time to do a labour of love.

I know names not written down anywhere! It's wrong for all these small beautiful places to remain un-named!

I've canoed thousands of miles of shoreline on Canadian Shield Lakes. Can you help me to contribute!!!?

ChristineBrandon
Level 8

Re: naming un-named lkes and. islands too small to be of interest to the official gov. so far.

Hi @ChristyFromCanada

Local Guides can't add natural features on Google Maps, and these types of requests are handled by special teams.

To start I suggest send feedback from Google Maps app. 

Cheers

Level 8

Re: I want to put the local place names on small un-named islands and lakes.

Hi @ChristyFromCanada

Local Guides can't add natural features on Google Maps, and these types of requests are handled by special teams.

To start I suggest send feedback from Google Maps app. 

@TorM Thanks. I'll put the link here Map content partners help

Base Map Partner Program

Cheers

Connect Moderator

Maybe @JanVanHaver has also some kind of solution in his posts?

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Connect Moderator

No, @TorM, unfortunately I have not yet found anything for that kind of situation. But I keep looking 😀

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 6

Re: naming un-named lakes and. islands too small to be of interest to the official gov. so far.

Would anyone like to get their favorite old recreational places ,like small lakes and islands so far unnamed on gov.maps because gov. didn't know the local old names!?

It is going to be a great project! Contact me with your personal, family, community names for fishing holes, swimming places, canoe routes, etc. and lakes and 

ChristineBrandon
Connect Moderator

Re: naming un-named lakes and. islands too small to be of interest to the official gov. so far.

Hello @ChristyFromCanada,

Water features have not been publicly editable for about 4 years; but rather there is a specialized water team.

Additionally, at this time the public also cannot name geographical features such as islands.

I'm afraid the previous advice to use Send Feedback might have been unclear; there is no option in Send Feedback to name such features.  What you could use Send Feedback for is to provide Google feedback that you would like such editing to be added to Maps.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 6

About Lake Penage, Penage.

I'm sorry to keep bugging you about this loss of routing from Espanols Tim Horton's to the Queensway , to Black Creek Bridge, and then straight on to West Bay, Lake Penage.

If only this was true!

I want them to find my camp. 

( northern name for a "cottage") . Do you think I could have the joy of making this fix,for my Grandchildren and their friends .

And just for everyone who has complained to me in the past. Is there anyone out there who can help me? Anyone who might take me under their wing?

Sincerely

[Personal Info Removed]

ChristineBrandon