Junaid09's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Wrong location can't correct!

I've been trying to correct the location of Griffith University, Nathan Campus for a while now, but Google maps just won't accept the change. The pin for the university is off by about 800m and now sits over the student accommodation, not the university entrance.

Griffith University, Nathan Campus, Nathan, Queensland, Australia
3 comments
Level 10

Re: Wrong location can't correct!

Hello @Junaid09,

Caption: The defined area of Griffith University.Caption: The defined area of Griffith University.

I had a look at the Griffith University, Nathan Campus on maps. Institutions such as universities, schools and places with multiple buildings or complexes have a defined area (as you can barely see with the light-grey outline) and so the university map marker should be around the centre of the area, including the buildings (such as the sports complex, the library, theatres, etc). Defining the pin on the entrance wouldn't be recommended, so I'd be happy to leave as is.

Another example is putting the map marker only at one of the entrances of a park where it has multiple. The map marker should be a central meeting point that best represents the area. I hope that helps!

Level 6

I'm a student at this campus and I can assure you that the pin is incorrectly placed. It should be near the bus stops as that's where people would be getting down. The road loops there and is called as The Circuit. That's where the pin was originally placed and all the university buildings like the library and the theatres have an access from there, not from the current pin position. I would be happy to explain it to you so we can get it rectified as it causes problems for new comes on campus and also for planning timings. 

Connect Moderator

Hello,

I've moved your post to the Mapping sub-forum as it is the appropriate place for mapping questions.

The rule for the map is that the place maker (the one that determines where the name is placed) belongs in the centre of the facility.  For a campus this is the centre of the polygon that would be formed when outlining the entire grounds.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages