SheetalV's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

What does different colours indicate on Google Maps?

I was exploring through the Google Maps when I noticed that some of the areas are shared as green which I could easily make out, it indicates the places dominated by the greenery like park, garden or jungles. But is there any legends which could help read the different types of areas indicated by different shades on Google Maps. One screen shot has been attached for example.

Different shades on Google MapsDifferent shades on Google Maps

Please respond with references. Thanks in advance..

7 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: What does different colours indicate on Google Maps?

Hello @SheetalV,

The legend for Maps can be found at https://blog.google/products/maps/google-maps-gets-new-look/.

Buildings are by default a grey colour, and then those with activity level typical of commercial activity are auto-detected and re-shaded a yellowish beige.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

Hello @SheetalV the basic background color is light grey, and i think that beige are areas where there are buildings. However: quite a few buildings are in a medium grey color, and I have no clue why some are beige and some medium grey.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

As per my observation i think buildings are marked with beige colour is commercial complex and buildings are marked with half white coloured is showing residential area. @SheetalV

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello @SheetalV,

The legend for Maps can be found at https://blog.google/products/maps/google-maps-gets-new-look/.

Buildings are by default a grey colour, and then those with activity level typical of commercial activity are auto-detected and re-shaded a yellowish beige.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

Hi @JanVanHaver, thanks for the response. By your reply I now actually know how to reply to a question even when I don't have any clue. 🙂 

Just kidding....

Level 8

Thanks @NareshDarji.

Is there any legends for Google Maps?

Level 8

Thanks @Flash.

Level 9

• Blue: lakes, rivers, streams, oceans, reservoirs, highways, and local borders
  • Red: major highways, roads, urban areas, airports, special-interest sites, military sites, place names, buildings, and borders
  • Yellow: built-up or urban areas
  • Green: parks, golf courses, reservations, forest, orchards, and highways
  • Brown: deserts, historical sites, national parks, military reservations or bases, and contour (elevation) lines
  • Black: roads, railroads, highways, bridges, place names, buildings, and borders
  • Purple: highways (also used on U.S.G.Stopographic maps to represent features added to the map since the original survey)
Local Business Editor