StephenRayNorthcut's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

What do you do when Google Maps is hopelessly messed up in an area?

I went to visit Sole Mates in Kapaa yesterday. It is both on the map and not on the map depending on how you query Google maps. Then I went next door to the Blue Lei and bought an aloha shirt. They are not on the map and even though I have succeeded in adding a place to Google maps in the past, it did not work. I am willing to go back take more pictures and notes and try to fix that whole part of Kapaa if that will help, but there needs to be a way to input the data.

I think the best way to start is anchor Sole Mates, 4-1286 Kuhio HWY Unit A so it is always on the map. You can contact John and Juliet Ka'ohelauli'i at 808.822-2180 web site www.solemates808.com  When that is done, we can input Blue Lei.IMG_5483.jpgIMG_5484.jpg

Kapaa, HI, USA
7 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: What do you do when Google Maps is hopelessly messed up in an area?

Hello @StephenRayNorthcut,

Sole Mates 808 is already on the map.  No place gets a permanently displaying place label, rather Maps will display it when it thinks it's a likely location that the user is seeking.

You can use Send Feedback to add Blue Lei.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 6

Hello @Flash

This is the block at full resolution. Sole mates where I bought my sandals is not on it. To be useful, a map must have information. At full resolution, if Google maps knows it then it should show it. I am going to try to get out that way again later today, time on Kauai is starting to run short. I will try to take a few pictures and make some notes.Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 8.04.16 PM.png

Connect Moderator

Hello @StephenRayNorthcut,

There is too much information on the map to display every place label permanently.  The old maps UI of several years back was more static and tended to displaying things all the time or hide them all the time with little regard to searches.  That UI also showed that displaying things not being sought creates a very busy map that detracts from its use.

As there is too many items on the map for them all to get a place label that always displays, algorithms are used to figure out what to display based on what the user is likely seeking.  There are many other features that are also not showing; you just do not realize because you cannot see them.  There is no way to influence this, other than making the feature as accurate as possible.

But it really shouldn't be a problem; people don't randomly scroll around the map looking for a plumber, a church, a dentist, a sandal shop, etc; but rather they search.  When someone searches for the type of establishment you have mapped then it will appear in the results, so everything is working fine.

When someone enters no search terms at all or search terms unrelated to this feature, Google has determined that they are almost certainly not looking for this feature and thus it is safe not to show it.  You should be aware that the algorithms constantly are re-run, so it may get an always visible place label; but then it might later again disappear.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 7

I found the shoe store -- by searching for shoes stores:

Soul Mates 808, 4-1286 - a Kuhio Hwy, Kapaa, HI 96746

I also see a second business that has a very similar, if not identical, address:

Got Gifts, 4-1286 Kuhio Hwy # A, Kapaa, HI 96746

It woul help make the map in this area more accurate if a user with local knowledge would, if appropriate, mark the gift shop as closed.

Level 6

I don't know if I count as a guide with local knowledge, but I have two more weeks of vacation on Kauai and love the pizza truck near there, so I will try to make a point of looking for the closed, (or open), gift shop. That area is congested. I tried to take a picture of the 4 businesses that are in that building 41286 A, B, C, D, Kuhio Hwy and tried to enter them all in Google maps. A Sole Mates, B Blue Lei, C Bike Shop, D is Tattoo Vape. There is more that is wrong in that area. For instance, there is no Pacific Fantasy physical location. I met the security guard at Pono Kai and it is just condos. The phone number works, but they do not answer as Pacific Fantasy. Anyway, I hope I was somewhat useful 🙂

41286 D, C, D, A Kuhio Hwy Kapaa Hi, 9674641286 D, C, D, A Kuhio Hwy Kapaa Hi, 96746Pacific Fantasy is not physically therePacific Fantasy is not physically there

Connect Moderator

@StephenRayNorthcut wrote:

I don't know if I count as a guide with local knowledge

Local knowledge just means knowledge you've gathered yourself; you don't need to actually live locally.  Being there and thereby finding out what is and isn't actually there is the knowledge we can provide to help make the map better for all.

Level 5

Hey @Flash

I thought I liked the way you took time to explain how Google maps are designed to display certain information. This is way more clear than anything about maps I have ever read.

Again, thank you for this.