DilipkumarD's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

What category should i choose for a famous road crossing almost regarded as a landmark

Hi,

I live in the downtowns of Kolkata, here people use road crossings as landmarks so these junctions become so popular that you must have to add them in map, but the problem is there is no specific category for landmark or road crossing, so what categories should I add? 

4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: What category should i choose for a famous road crossing almost regarded as a landmark

Hi @DilipkumarD,

Digital maps that show all the roads and show your current GPS location on that map eliminate the need for named crossings no matter your mode of transportation.

When you find people adding named road crossing using the wrong categories, please do delete them; they should not be on the map.  As I mentioned, they used to be on the map and their removal by the Maps team was purposeful since they don't actually help when using a digital map.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Former Google Contributor

Re: What category should i choose for a famous road crossing almost regarded as a landmark

Hello @DilipkumarD,

You’ve raised a good point here. While you can search for more specific categories via the Google Maps application, “landmark” and “road crossing” are not yet available for selection. Luckily, you can submit feedback to request these places directly from the application. Reference this FAQ on the process for submitting feedback.

Include as much information as possible, create context behind your request and submit.

Hope this helps!

Connect Moderator

Hello,

As an FYI, "Landmark" and "Junction" are both categories that used to exist, but were purposely removed. 

If you think about it, a digital map has not need for those categories, as it supplies a marker directly on the place to which you are navigating.  "Near XXXXX" or "Turn left at YYYYY" are not necessary on a digital map, so landmarks and junctions do not need to be mapped on a digital map.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 6

@Flash,

Yes that's helpful for people who used to drive a car to go to a certain place or commonly using a G. P. S guiding but in India people used to move from one place to another by walking or by public transport, that's why people give name to a particular road crossing to find their way and the worst thing is that guides are mapping those places to help people but they are choosing a wrong category, which is quite natural due to absence of specific category. Thats all i was talking about. 

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hi @DilipkumarD,

Digital maps that show all the roads and show your current GPS location on that map eliminate the need for named crossings no matter your mode of transportation.

When you find people adding named road crossing using the wrong categories, please do delete them; they should not be on the map.  As I mentioned, they used to be on the map and their removal by the Maps team was purposeful since they don't actually help when using a digital map.