GarethK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

This most defines me and my experience with Local Guides - Local Guides Connect Live 2018 !

I am also applying to attend the Local Guides Connect Live event this October. I contribute to the program to guide others, to assist with keeping the info on Google's Search and Maps up to date as much as possible. I am an Expert Photographer and I am always willing to show other Local Guides how to streamline the process of uploading batches of photos and adding places if they are not listed or found. However I am a Novice Trailblazer and a Novice Reviewer, and I would like to improve on this and learn from other Local Guides tips and tricks how to do this. I also want to contribute to informing users of Google Maps whether a place caters for people with Accessibility Needs and whether places are Pet Friendly. I have not addressed the subject of Health and Fitness yet, but I plan to learn about this and contribute to the Subject. I would also like to contribute to enhancing the information on Google Maps regarding the addresses of places, where suburbs in Johannesburg and the surrounding areas as listed under more specific metropolitan regions and municipal areas. What I like most about the program is when I photograph a place, upload the photo to Maps and discover there is no cover photo listed, or the place is no listed or found, and then my photo is used as the cover photo for this place.
Edenvale, South Africa
4 comments
Level 7

Re: This most defines me and my experience with Local Guides - Local Guides Connect Live 2018 !

Hi GarethK, thanks for sharing! Photography is one of my weakest skills, I usualy feel that the pics I make miss the right perspective, light or sharpness. On the other hand I'm an Expert Reviewer targeting at sharing useful insights for choosing the right place for lunch or coffee with everyone who reaches out to Google Maps. I would be glad to learn from you how to improve my photos as well as share with you some hints on writting fair and consitent reviews. It would be great to meet you in October, good luck with your application for Local Guides Connect Live 2018!

Level 7

Re: This most defines me and my experience with Local Guides - Local Guides Connect Live 2018 !

Hello BartekBe, Thanks for reading and responding to my post. Good luck to you also to be chosen for this years Live Event ! It would be the really good that we are both chosen and exchange ideas, tips and tricks at the event with each other and all that attend. As you write that you are active and good at reviewing places to eat and coffee shops, this is something I will work on. Regarding writing reviews I definitely feel that I am improving at this and it has been good for my overall creativity. When I have time and a suggestion comes up for review I just get started and write what comes to mind, and intentionally use synonyms and different ways of saying things to write more interesting and informing reviews. I am going to keep all this activity and my contributions up, and it will be even more rewarding to be also chosen for this year. Hoping to see and meet you in October ! ! !

Level 5

Hi Gareth,

My situation is quite similar. I love taking photos and used to keep them for myself. Since I started contributing as a Local Guide I do share them with the rest and it feels really good. Same as you, I do like the moments when I can upload information or photo of something that has not been really covered by others. And it’s amazing knowing that my information can help others with their decisions.

I still keep discovering new options and things about Local Guides and I’m getting even more interested in it. The more I participate the more I want to be part of the world of Local Guides where I can be in touch with others, like right now with you! 🙂

Level 7

Hi Ferko,

That is nice that you also love taking photos and enjoy seeing them used on the Maps Platform, plus the other info we contribute. Yes I agree there is always something new to learn and discover on Local Guides and Google Maps. 
It's good that you are also a level 5 guide and eligible to apply for Connect Live 2018.
I hope to see both of us there and to meet you in person.