SteveWestropUK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Subway - fast food or sandwich shop?

I've previously added Subway stores to Map, and given the category of "Sandwich Shop", but have seen majority of them categorised as "Fast Food Restaurant" more recently. 

How do others view Subway... and what's your favourite sub?

Thurrock, United Kingdom
11 comments
Level 8

Re: Subway - fast food or sandwich shop?

@SteveWa wrote:

I've previously added Subway stores to Map, and given the category of "Sandwich Shop", but have seen majority of them categorised as "Fast Food Restaurant" more recently. 

How do others view Subway... and what's your favourite sub?

1) "Sandwich shop" is more accurate in my opinion.

2) Steak & philly cheese sub is great.

Level 9

Hi @SteveWestropUK

I think SUBWAY is a "Sandwich Shop" instead of Fast Food Restaurant. In SUBWAY you will get Sandwich as a main food and with that soft drink, tea, coffee, cookies, crisps. On the other side, in a Fast Food Restaurant you will have a lot of chooses. 

I love Meatball Sandwich and Stake Sandwich, there also doing good Nachos.

Level 9

Right with you @AbdullahAM - though it should be Subway and not SUBWAY on the Maps... that annoys me too 😉

Fast Food to me is burgers and chips - Subway is better than that!

Actually, just remembered I know a Subway Franchisee... will track him down and ask him his views too.

Level 9

There should be caragories , Subcategories will improve explanation of a place . 

And This chain of restaurants , Nationalised banks , etc could be selected from a short list . 

Restaurant selected then there must be option like Air conditioned , With A hotel etc 

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/21203/page/1#
Connect Moderator

Hello @Sariga,

Places can have multiple categories, but at this time Maps only shows and only allows editing of the primary category.  We could access all categories in the retired tool Map Maker, and hopefully this functionality will be added to Maps in the future.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

@SteveWestropUK

Hola. Me toco subir al mapa, una sucursal de Subway, para mi asombro , segun la pagina oficial de la empresa, esta catalogada como " Empresa de alimentos y Bebidas" y no como comida rapida, que yo y muchos pensamos, o restaurant, o todas las categorias que vemos en maps, cuando, suben esta cadena de empresas. Fue para mi una gran sorpresa.

LuaPL
Level 9

@Flash

Thank you for the reply ,

Retiring things without substitute is always an issue .

Like map maker Map will also retire one day . But it is better to control Junk , Duplicate Photo , Selfie . 

Small Restaurants have "Hotel " in the name 

At least One Main Category must be have at least some Sub category .

Even Desktop tool for Street view retired but no Original Google product is announced .

Hangout was a best messenger for Mobile /Loptop / Tab but new products substituted could not find the place of Best Messenger .

Google Introduced 360 but only Map and Youtube support 360 . 

Hope to give google the best . 

Thanking you 

Varghese Jose 

@Flash wrote:

Hello @Sariga,

Places can have multiple categories, but at this time Maps only shows and only allows editing of the primary category.  We could access all categories in the retired tool Map Maker, and hopefully this functionality will be added to Maps in the future.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/badges/userbadgespage/user-id/21203/page/1#
Level 8

Hola @Sariga , @Flash @AbdullahAM @SteveWestropUK @PierJes

Parece que estamos de acuerdo, en que las categorias para utilizar en maps y cuando hay subcategorias, la lista es muy corta, restringida. No todos los paises del paises del mundo, tenemos el acceso a las mismas categorias y subcategorias.Yo en mi pais para SUBWAY, tengo dos opciones, restaurant o comida rapida. La palabra sandwich, no la tenemos. Compartimos al menos un grupo de Local Guides con  @Varghese y las diferencias internacionales son obvias. No pude subir un lugar a maps pues, esa categoria tenia incluida el nombre de solo un pais. Hay mucho para trabajar, tenemos herramientas, pero tambien nos faltan otras y me hago cargo de lo que digo. Espero, que entre todos, podamos hacer algo para mejorar maps, que tanto amamos. Pueden contar conmigo. Gracias a todos.

Saludos cordiales 

Luana Lima.

LuaPL
Level 10

@SteveWestropUK in the United States there is a new category the restaurant industry has adopted called "Fast Casual" (keep in mind, this is an industry designation, and not a Google category). This describes places like Subway, Chipotle, Five Guys, and other establishments that provide quality food made to order quickly, typically being prepared in front of the ordering customer.

My interpretation of "Fast Food" is an eatery that prepares the food in bulk, and then serves up customers quickly, with limited to no customization (for examples McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken)

In the United States, most Subway locations were set to a category of "Restaurant" by an initial bulk-load via Google My Business (Along with their names being wrongly set to "SUBWAY®Restaurants"), although many are now being corrected to "Sandwich Shop", which is the correct category (since they clearly are not "fast food" as I described above)

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States