PaulKang's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

New Mindset About Rejected Edits

I want to suggest a different reaction when you/me/we submit an important/helpful edit and it gets 'Not Applied' instantaneously and repeatedly.

I previously posted about my frustration about 'Not Applied' decisions for a common sense edit. My post was merged into a larger thread where others have expressed lots of anger or bitterness. I want to work as best as possible within the confines of the platform so that I can still contribute without becoming disillusioned.

@GusMoreira explained it quite well: the actual edit verification process is complex and involves algorithms that I don't understand.

My suggestion: Let it go and don't take a rejection so personally. Ultimately, the burden is on the business owner or government agency that is responsible for listing accuracy. Moving forward, I am just going to write 2-part reviews that discuss 1) my experience and then 2) my disappointment with the listing info and recommend that people contact the business beforehand. That may shame the business enough that they'll make the changes that us Local Guides are so passionate about.

Paul Kang
Greater Nashville, Tennessee
6 comments
Level 9

Re: New Mindset About Rejected Edits

@PaulKang I think this is a great idea to provide more detailed information for the user before they visit. For a listing 'Not Applied' decisions for a common sense edit when you put the information in what star rating would you give it?  I would suggest it should be either 4 or 5 if it is just to pass along information so it does not harm the business ranking. My bigger concern is I think a lot of guides avoid doning the harder edits and stick more to photos. If we as a group all started doing this our profiles would be full of "strange" reviews and I would be concerned that we could get banned as a spammer. Do you think you could get a googler to comment regarding if that is a risk? I had tried using the review section to inform once and here is how it looks and do think that it is informative. What would you do on this one?

Level 7

Connect Moderator

If we as a group all started doing this our profiles would be full of "strange" reviews and I would be concerned that we could get banned as a spammer. Do you think you could get a googler to comment regarding if that is a risk?

Reviews are to be about the business itself, and specifically an interaction directly between the reviewer and the business.  Writing anything else can lead to the review not being posted or being later removed.  I would suppose that too many unacceptable reviews could lead to sanctions against the user, as we already know that for any other aspect of a listing submitting bad data against the guidelines has led to sanctions.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

Hi @davidcox,

What I meant to say that we should consider writing reviews that include the listing's missing/bad info as part of the larger evaluation.

Example: "I went there and had their hamburger and it was really good.... Don't trust the posted hours for this place on Google Maps because they were incorrect when we arrived there for lunch."

If the owner has some pride, he/she might do what's necessary to correct the listing's information.

Paul Kang
Level 9

@PaulKang I think that would be an informational review and helpful and long as it is part of the experience who would complain? Would you get a warning before being sanctioned?  I think that many of the owners have no idea that they have a listing nor do they know to check it at least monthly. If they did we would not see so much junk.  I wonder what the reaction would be to hand out an informational card. "Have you check your listings health this month?" and explain what it is to business owners.

Level 10

I don't think we as Local Guides have to go out of our way to instruct business owners to update their listing. They don't take too kindly to feedback like that, no matter how important it is.

Paul Kang