EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

My experience

As a child I was thrilled by nature, then the camera made me love the earth more. I found myself studying Geography and you know we have to love maps. All sorts of maps!

When I bumped into Google earth it was out of this world. I could switch to satellite views and locate places around the world it was magical map real time not the papers we had in school.

It's been such an owesome experience as a Local Guide, from merely doing what I love by adding places, editing locations and pin downs, I found myself making points and rising in Levels. Wow! Isn't it interesting doing what you really love and getting credits? This later progressed into attending the Lagos Mapping Meetup where I met numerous fellow Local Guides I saw online, we talked, did some work together, had meals and exchanged contacts. One good Local Guide drove me home that fateful day and he was such a funny and intelligent guy.

Yet, the most significant moment was when we listened to the issue of rape in the society and how we could help victims. That moment, I pledged in my heart to help add institutions critical to helping citizens in need - hospitals, police stations, orphanages, etc.

Since, I travel frequently between the eastern and western Nigeria I just keep updating more on the google map; it is more fun while in the east because it requires more work as the area is virtually a wilderness looking from the map. So, I started the Imo Local Guide Community to organize periodical meetups to help the community improve the area map.

Information is vital for human survival, the map is a veritable tool and Local Guides are purveyors. I am humbled to have an opportunity to join this community and I look forward to doing more!