Jake08's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Multiple languages

What is the protocol for when a place exists in multiple languages? I am located in Israel, and I notice many examples on the map in which the same place appears twice on the map as two different places, each in a different language. I have attempted marking one of them a duplicate, but nothing comes of it. What can be done about this?

5 comments
Level 8

Re: Multiple languages

Hi @Jake08,

In theory, the same place should not be added to Maps more than once - even with different languages.

Further more, we should not put different language names together, as it will form a new name that is not representative for the business.

As with Android Maps v9.44.0, at least for Taiwan places, we can enter names in two different languages (depends on the language selected in our Android OS).

Please see if you can do the same in your region.

Level 7

Thanks @YK1001

I do see places where the place exists with both languages - usually for me the Hebrew in small type under the English name. However I don't see an option to input two different languages on my iPhone or on the google maps website. Anyone out there know how to do so?

Level 8

Can you post a Map URL, with the correct English Name and Hebrew names so that I can try using Desktop Maps?

Level 8

Hi @Jake08,

I am looking on entering two language names while edit instead of study the duplicated places here.

On the PlaceCard picture, you can see the Name is clearly in two lines.  The top is English and the bottom, is it Hebrew(?).

When doing a Suggest an Edit, click on the Name, and clear the existing Name.  Then you will see English is expected at the top box.  Do the similar for the bottom Name, then you should see Hebrew name is expected.

Please try it out.

Entering Name in Two LanguagesEntering Name in Two LanguagesPlaceCardPlaceCard