Scotscott's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Mapping

Must begin to start mapping ski resorts. Good GPS in the Alps but poor quality mapping, it's not acceptable that today, Google maps thinks that skiers are cycling downs ski runs ? Or taking their car ? Q.How many paper maps did I see last week ? A.Too many

Alps
7 comments
Level 8

Re: Mapping

Hi Scott,

Mapping ski runs was a pilot project by the maps team a number of years ago. As of right now, there is no way to add run and chairlift information to the map.

If you are talking about the roads and other things that lead to the ski areas those are still ok to map.

Google Maps Platinum Product Expert, Top Contributor for Google Map Maker (Product Retired) and Regional Lead (Product Retired).
Level 3

I have asked Google Maps to upload Ski maps of my city and got no replies, they say they are too busy but did not say they can't.

Many italian ski restort have ski maps! Check Courmayeur  for example

Connect Moderator

As stated, Google is no longer adding ski lifts.  This has was confirmed with Google several years ago.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

Regressive step, oddly they map (some) mountain bike runs, which

accounts for only 1/4 -1/5 of users on the hills - paper maps are here to stay it seems 😞

Level 8

Many of the ski lifts are mapped, it's ski runs that have the problem. Why only Mountain bike runs, most ski resorts in the alps are 4:1 in favour of skiing ?

Level 8

By ski maps are we referring to lifts or runs/pistes, M.Campiglio had (telecabin) lifts mapped but only for Mountain biking ! Skiing has a 4:1 ration over Biking

Connect Moderator

If you are finding paths that allowing cycling down ski runs then those are people adding paths, not Google employees.  Basically it is people trying to work around the fact that ski runs are no longer added.  Those paths should not have been added, as you can see that it results in false data.  It would be something to either fix yourself in Map Maker or report via Feedback in Maps.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages