sanjeews's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Mapping the lost airports of World War II in India

Hi all I Live in eastern part of India, where many of WW II airstrips are found in abandoned condition. The remains of these airstrips are still traceable after passage of more than 70 years. All these airstrips have varied history and militia associated with them. I have a hobby to map them and also to get pictures of them uploaded on GM. I have been contacted from world over by many of the persons who wanted to know more about the places where their fathers and fore fathers lived or died during WWII. KUDOS LG and Google Maps for providing me the opportunity for that. I have also contributed to LG through adding many educational institutions and important POIs on LG.
Durgapur, West Bengal, India
1 comment
Connect Moderator

Re: Mapping the lost airports of World War II in India

Hello @sanjeews,

Please be aware that the map available to all should show what is currently present, not what was there historically.

If there is an operating airport at the site then please do map it.

Mapping the historical locations of airports, however, should be done via a custom map instead of on Maps.  Google offers multiple ways to create a custom map, for your purpose the best is likely Google My Maps.  My Maps can be embedded, shared and made searchable.  A well constructed map will come up in relevant searches.

Have fun with your passion!

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages