SwirlyBird's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Mapping hiking trails and river kayak trails

I'm interested in documenting trails- hiking, cycling, and paddling. When I try to add specific river landmarks like "second ledge" or "bull sluice" to maps, it seems like it could be alot easier. Any suggestions?

I really think it could help people or groups when planning a river trip, etc. 

Thank you,

Charles

South Carolina, United States
11 comments
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Mapping hiking trails and river kayak trails

@CharlesS wrote:

When I try to add specific river landmarks like "second ledge" or "bull sluice" to maps, it seems like it could be alot easier. Any suggestions?

Could you provide some map links to examples you've added

Level 4

I have many route in my maPS

If help you.

Level 7

Looking forward to do the same thing here. Adding trails is a feature I'm really looking forward to.

I managed to add a few trails on Map Maker in the past when it was still working.

We could add other important outdoor features: access parkings, trail heads, cliffs, camp sites, springs, brooks...

Hope it will come to Gmaps some time soon.

Meanwhile I've been using OSM to add trails.

Last week a great outdoor map came online (OSM database with a great new look for outdoors):

https://opentopomap.org

Hope it helps,

Joao

@CharlesS wrote:

I'm interested in documenting trails- hiking, cycling, and paddling. When I try to add specific river landmarks like "second ledge" or "bull sluice" to maps, it seems like it could be alot easier. Any suggestions?

I really think it could help people or groups when planning a river trip, etc. 

Thank you,

Charles

Level 9
Level 9

@joaob wrote:

Looking forward to do the same thing here. Adding trails is a feature I'm really looking forward to.

I managed to add a few trails on Map Maker in the past when it was still working.

We could add other important outdoor features: access parkings, trail heads,

@JoaoBJ You can add trails now, as far as maps is concerned they are just a road without traffic. The ability to add trailheads won't be coming to Maps and if you added any via MapMaker recently they probably should be deleted from the map. Parking areas are also unlikely to be mappable unless they have proper names

If you have any questions related to trails it would be best to start your own thread on the Mapping Your World board

Level 7

Hi! Thanks for the reply! Please share the link on how to add a road / trail on google maps! Thanks.

Level 4

I'd love this link also.

Thanks.

Level 10

Hi,

Map Maker is no longer available, and it was only in several countries.

But now you have the option to suggest a road o trail by sending feedback.

If you open the app, in the left menu, if you scroll down you can find the give feedback option ("Enviar comentarios" on my screenshot), if you click on:Screenshot_20170511-100810.png

Then you can suggest the road you miss on the map in the third option:

Screenshot_20170511-100830.png

It's quite easy! 🙂

I hope you found here a solution for your problem.

Best regards_

Level 7

Gracias Esteban!

My written spanish stops here though 😉
I think we are all aware of the "send feedback" thingy. It's a first step but not enough for adding trails. It works for roads that show on the satellite view but trails usually can't be seen on that view. A GPS track must be used to correctly add a trail. Hopefully in the future...

To give an example:

This area at Crescent Lake in Connecticut (https://goo.gl/maps/KjNum6wU17H2) has plenty of trails around it and a major Connecticut trail going thru it (Metacomet Trail) but nothing shows on the map! I was there yesterday and wished I could help improve Google Maps by adding them!

Joao

Level 4

Absolutely.

The idea is create loops, trails from A to B etc..

There is this functionality already available when you create your own maps (saved on Google Drive).

You can add descriptions, share it with other people etc..

BUT... you can't publish it on Google Maps so other people can discover it.