noahalorwu's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Local Guide Breakout Session at Barcamp Sunyani

I led a breakout session on Google Local Guide at Barcamp Sunyani in the Brong Ahafo region of Ghana. Barcamp Sunyani is a networking forum bringing people together for a day of learning, sharing, networking and mentoring. The event took place on November 26 at the University of Energy and Natural Resources Auditorium on the theme "Producing energetic and resourceful professionals".

The breakout session brought together 12 energetic participants who are eager and ready to be a local guide.

The session was categorised into 2 parts
1. Intro to local Guide
2. Practical Session

Here are few things we did
1. I showed them how to enroll on the platform
2. How to use the GPS in mapping
3. Adding Places to the Map
4. Correcting missing information on the map
5. How to add photos to the map
6. Using the Satellite images to accurately map

7. Tips on using label

8. Benefits of joining the community etc.

The participants had a great time learning about the guidelines and what we are expected of as mappers. During the practical session we added some few places on the map coupled with photos and reviews.

My final words to the participants. "Don't just be a great user but also help contribute to it."
Local places needs to find their way on the map so lets go out there and map our communities.

The great news is that we have started a community in the region. Updates on our community will be shared soon.  

Below are images of our breakout session.

Cross section of participantsCross section of participantsNoah Alorwu  leading the sessionNoah Alorwu leading the sessionPhone mirror projected to the particpantsPhone mirror projected to the particpantsIntro to local GuideIntro to local GuideViewing a satellite image of our location  to map a building infront of usViewing a satellite image of our location to map a building infront of usSharing some tipsSharing some tips

University of Energy and Natural Resources, Sunyani - Berekum Road, Sunyani, Ghana
1 comment
Level 1

Re: Local Guide Breakout Session at Barcamp Sunyani

@noaha wrote:

I lead a breakout session on Google Local Guide at Barcamp Sunyani in the Brong Ahafo region of Ghana. Barcamp Sunyani is a networking forum bringing people together for a day of learning, sharing, networking and mentoring. The event took place on November 26 at the University of Energy and Natural Resources Auditorium on the theme "Producing energetic and resourceful professionals".

The breakout session brought together 12 energetic participants who are eager and ready to be a local guide.

The session was categorised into 2 parts
1. Intro to local Guide
2. Practical Session

Here are few things we did
1. I showed them how to enroll on the platform
2. How to use the GPS in mapping
3. Adding Places to the Map
4. Correcting missing information on the map
5. How to add photos to the map
6. Using the Satellite images to accurately map

7. Tips on using label

8. Benefits of joining the community etc.

The participants had a great time learning about the guidelines and what we are expected of as mappers. During the practical session we added some few places on the map coupled with photos and reviews.

My final words to the participants. "Don't just be a great user but also help contribute to it."
Local places needs to find their way on the map so lets go out there and map our communities.

The great news is that we have started a community in the region. Updates on our community will be shared soon.  

Below are images of our breakout session.

Cross section of participantsCross section of participantsNoah Alorwu  leading the sessionNoah Alorwu leading the sessionPhone mirror projected to the particpantsPhone mirror projected to the particpantsIntro to local GuideIntro to local GuideViewing a satellite image of our location  to map a building infront of usViewing a satellite image of our location to map a building infront of usSharing some tipsSharing some tips

Great work.