Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Is it possible to see why a newly created POI is removed

Free Parking
ul. "Marko Bochar" 79, 1574 Sofia
Approved  · New place

But now it's removed.

It is a free parking created by the nearby tennis club for their visitors.
The municipality refuse to make a road for them.
As we speak they are actually adding tarmac and not very happy that it's removed from google maps.

Road to this place is very badly mapped by google, is it possible to fix that part as well?
Google is routing their customers through a private locked gate of Akademik Sport Stadium.
They can't find the place and go home.
4 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Is it possible to see why a newly created POI is removed

Hello,

Descriptions in the name field are not permitted on the map.  Most parking lots thus do not qualify for a POI on the map.  Once completed the actual parking lot roads (what are known as ETA roads, or Enclosed Traffic Area roads) could be added, but currently that can only be done by Google.

In today's world where space is becoming more of a premium it is fairly standard for most stadiums and other places for mass gatherings that people will have to find parking on their own.  The stadium could do what many other such places do and assist the public by posting "Free parking this way" sandwich board signs on the day of events along the lines of the one seen at http://www.signaramaftlauderdale.com/images/u/d1c83c37ce7149299531781a7c1a2ce0-600.jpeg.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

It's not allowed to put signs like that in this country! They will get a fine 5 minutes later...

By accident or not, a lot of police officers are using this parking lot daily, as it has a nice view and very relaxing in the city stress here.

It's like an oasis in the city.

If googles response is to put illegal street signs instead of mapping the road and add the free parking lot to map, I'm a bit shocked..

It's very hard to find a free parking lot here, and if it exist, why shouldn't we be able to map it?

But worst part is, it's in the list of POI.

This open up for a new question, is it allowed to map a paid parking?

Connect Moderator

Putting up a sign was my suggestion, not Google's.  Only a portion of visitors are going to be using Google Maps; the stadium needs to come up with a solution that does rely on the map. 

It's very hard to find a free parking lot here, and if it exist, why shouldn't we be able to map it?

This is the base map used by all.  It has to have some limitations on it to form a functional map.  Simply existing is not enough of a criteria for something to be mapped.

I do realize that it is an available category, but this question is no different than when you asked why you could not add a vista point wherever you wanted to add a photo; the explanation then was that the category being available is not enough but that also there both needs to be something there and for it to have a proper name.

Whether parking is paid or free does not matter.  For parking lots we:

• map the roads within the parking lot (temporarily only possible by Googlers)
  • add a POI if there is a proper name and, since it is a business, a way to complete your business.

The requirement to complete your business would mean that for paid parking either an attendant would need to be present or a machine would need to be present to accept your payment.  This is one of the very few situations where a business can be automated and not need a manned storefront to be mapped.  For free parking neither an attendant or payment machine would be necessary; but for both free and paid parking there would also need to be a phone number to call for assistance (such as if the machine won't take your payment or to find out where your car is if towed).

Acceptable names for a paid lot would be official designations (such as "Lot G", "Lot H", etc. for lots at a university) or for paid parking the name of the parking company.

What was previously available was that a parking polygon could be added.  A polygon does not have to have a name in order for the shaded area to appear on the map.  The ability for us to add polygons was removed after a massive abuse of the feature, and until that can be fixed some polygons are being allowed to be added as point POIs, but in that case they must meet the point POI rules of a proper name as unnamed point POIs do not show on the map nor in searches.  This is why you currently see the option of adding a parking lot as a polygon.  What you could do is sketch the area of the parking lot on a screenshot of the map, sketch in the ETA roads if you are sure of their location, and then submit Other Feedback and include a link to somewhere that you have posted that screenshot, such as Google Photos (make sure to turn on sharing for the photo).  In the feedback you can explain that the lot has no name, but ask them to add an unnamed parking lot polygon if possible.

It should be noted that parking lot polygons are not normally added to indicate the parking adjacent to a business or building, rather just the ETA roads are added.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

Ok, this is a screenshot of the free parking lot, it's clearly visible. It also has enormously clear sphere photos all the way, as you can see. They are also connected to streetview.

screenshot.jpg

There is no need of a phone number for towed cars, as place is free. There is also no need for a phone number because it will not take your payment, it's still free of charge.

I will give it a go.