Globedronner's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

How to add generic pictures of a village or rural community?

Hi there,

I'd like to know the way to add general pictures for small villages or rural communities. I think creating a new place is useless in such case and would lead to creation of artificial entries in locations where perhaps the most important thing is the location itself.Nevertheless, as can be seen in the attached screenshot, pictures from that places have been added and I'd like to know the way to doing this.

Thank you,

Captura de pantalla (10).png

3 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: How to add generic pictures of a village or rural community?

Hi @Globedronner,

Google Maps consists of points and lines. In Maps you can only edit certain features, and all of those are point features, which means that you can only add photos to a specific Maps listing. When you come across a named polygon that won't let you enter pictures, the best thing you can do in this situation is to follow the steps bellow:

1. Open Google Photos on your device.
  2. Select the image that you want to upload.
  3. Click on "Share" and then select Add to Maps.
  4. Afterwards select the place where you want your photo to appear =>Send or Post

Hope that you'll find the above helpful!

P.S.: I moved your post to the Mapping Your World board, as it fits better there.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 9

@KlaudiyaG wrote:

Hi @Globedronner,

The option that you are referring to is not available on Google Maps. You can add photos and videos only to specific addresses.

Hope that the above answers your question.

P.S.: I moved your post to the Mapping Your World board, as it fits better there.

Hi @KlaudiyaG,

thanks for the reply. I have another new post here :https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/add-village/m-p/977568#M326912

Similar content, same old problem.

OK, I can understand Google wants and need to control and filter the creation of new villages. Very well, I agree with that.

On the other hand I'm an off beaten path world traveller and I think peoples in those villages, have the same rights as us to be on Google Maps. They have GSM access, internet connections, they are Google users and they appear on Google Earth. But G-Maps seems not to care about them. And I think this being unfair.

I do not need badges, medals, anything of this kind. Only to be able to send to someone at G-Maps photos of these villages, with GPS coordinates and, after proper check via Google Earth or similar, someone of the Google Maps staff to assign these villages where they always were on Earth...and on map.

Level 10

Hello @Globedronner,

First as you already mentioned I should note that for add photos to a boundary like town or village users should be careful to use only generic photos which shows an icon of that boundary or a photo which gives a bird-eye view of that town/village/others.

Then to add such photo to a town/village/neighborhood just use photo gallery app, then use share button and then select Google Maps for sharing. It'll ask about the place on the map you want to upload photo and now you can select the city/village/... .

Beside this, if you upload a photo on one well-known place in a town/village/others (for example a tourist attraction) and it will be good enough, Google Maps system will automatically shows it on the photos list of that town/village/others.

Amir | Join us on IranLocalGuides