cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

How do we manage "peer quality"?

Edits go through a review process.

***MODS: I understand that process

The issue is peer review of edits that doesn't meet what software development would call "quality standards".  Let me explain.

If an edit is submitted that is not automatically accepted, it waits for peer review. If that edit is rejected despite being compliant with both the spirit as well as the letter of Google maps policy, there is no mechanism in place addressing this lack of quality in the peer review.

A good example is that it appears local guides in my area do not understand that home based businesses which are in neighborhoods zoned residential and also do not actually operate a physical storefront (therefore do not actually have something for pepper to visit) should not be listed peer n Google maps policy.  My edits, which are compliant with Google maps policy, are routinely rejected.

This undermines the effectiveness of local guides.

Honestly, I don't think these people are doing this maliciously.  I really believe this is actually an education opportunity that is being missed.

Local guides, I don't have the answer here. Far from it... I have no idea how to address this problem.  How would we efficiently address edit desiresd without being burdensome to maps admins, without alienating our fellow local guides, but while also making a mechanism to assure that the second set of eyes on edits is effective.

That's a tall order, fellow local guides. Let's hear done great ideas!

Ohio, USA
6 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How do we manage "peer quality"?

Hello @DanielB, that particular example could be improved by offering local guides more detailed options to indicate why they mark the POI as 'should be removed', ideally as a list where multiple options can be selected, and then moving those to the Check the facts module in a format that checks each individual option that was selected (so, no longer just ask 'Does this business exist?', but 'Does this business have a storefront' + 'Is this business in a residential area' etc)

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Connect Moderator

Hello @DanielB,

I rarely see peer review occur; it is much more frequent that the edits are sent for Google employee review.

May I ask, exactly what edit are you doing for such places?

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

Suggest an edit

Closed

Private place or home

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DanielB@Flash,

I have wondered the same myself.

In many cases I know the business is run out of a private house, and usually some type of service business. In fact, the business listing should be as a service region not a storefront location. This problem is very prevalent where the business has not claimed their listing though GMB and managed the listing to use this feature. So when Checking the Facts and the question comes up whether a place is closed or not the issue of a home based (possible service) business is very difficult to ascertain, especially when it's obvious it's someone's house and residence. In some of cases there is a question of whether the listing is actually a web based business as well.

To the best of my understanding, if the listing is not a service area based listing, and the location in question is definitely a private residence and no other indication to indicate it is anything but a private residence, the GM guideline appears to be abundantly clear the the correct determination should be "Closed"  with the reason that it's a private residence.  I hope @Flash can provide some definitive guidance on this! Thanks.

Charlie 

Level 7

@Flash

Any luck figuring this one out?

Thanks!

Connect Moderator

@DanielB, your question boils down to "How do we make every single LG learn and follow some of the more obscure rules for Maps?"

The basic answer is, we don't.

We can educate and we can offer to help, but that only works for those that want that help and education.

For the others, some edits will make their way through, but continually making bad edits will eventually lower their trust level.  Hopefully that will spur them to learn more about editing.

Remember, most users are going to be casual and hardly ever do an edit where an more complex rule affects the edit.  So they have no need to learn those rules, and the occasionally wrong edit they make due to that lack of knowledge will not end up affecting much the map nor their trust level.  It's just those that make complex edits often that need to learnt the complex rules.

Those that want to do complex edits without seeking advice on how to do them are the issue. I would never be so bold to assume my personal thoughts on how something I want to do must be the correct way, so I can't really understand their point of view.  I'm sure you've seen people complain that they've done lots of edits and now are either unable to get approvals or are outright banned; quite a few of those will be ones who refused to learn and adjust.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages