Johan_Solberg's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

How do I add the name of a mountain pass to the map?

Hi,

I'm trying to add the name of a mountain pass to the map. But, there are no categories that fit. I could not even find any categories that define features in nature.

Please help!

Thank you,

Johan

3 comments
Level 7

Re: How do I add the name of a mountain pass to the map?

As with adding or modifying just about anything on Google Maps, a suggestion to add a natural feature must be moderated by Google staff and they reserve the right to reject your suggestion without giving a specific reason.

Follow these steps to send Google general feedback

Please note that Google changed the Maps on the web interface recently so that the weblink that was formerly titled Other feedback is now titled Your opinions about Maps.  

Level 8

Hi @Johan_Solberg,

Hope all is well.
To me, categories are very much like keys. If the category is not there, then it is probably (locked) and not available to you or not supposed to be mapped altogether.

I wrote this article: Categories the ABC of Map Editing, that might interest you.

Happy mapping,

JeroenM

Connect Moderator

Hello @Johan_Solberg,

I'm sorry that I missed this post earlier.

The categories used on the map are divided up into many sub-categories.  The largest group is commonly referred to as the Establishment group, and it is largely composed of business categories.  This is the only group for which Google is currently accepting edits.

You can use the "Your opinions about Maps" function of Feedback to let Google know that you would like to be able to edit the Natural Features section; Google uses such feedback to help them decide future changes to Maps.  I will comment, though, that certain categories will never reopen as they have reached a maturity level where Google does not see a net overall benefit when editing is allowed, which basically means that incorrect edits tend to be too frequent.  The natural features category group has never been announced to have reached that maturity level, but this might be the case as it has similarities to the announced groups.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages