BrittanyG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

How Do I Permanently Delete a Google Maps Listing?

I have a client who has a duplicate listing in Google Maps that we have been trying to get rid of for months.

This is the correct listinghttps://www.google.com/maps/place/Burger+Law/@38.6517762,-90.3915917,12z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sgary+bu...

This is the listing that is "permanently closed" but hasn't been removedhttps://www.google.com/maps/place/Attorney+Gary+Burger/@38.6520025,-90.3915918,12z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1...

When searching his name "Gary Burger" in maps both of these listings come up, we have claimed the permanently closed listing and have deleted it through his Google+ page and it still shows up. If I mark it open and then mark it as a duplicate will that take care of removing it? How do I go about completely removing the entire listing?

St. Louis, MO, United States
11 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How Do I Permanently Delete a Google Maps Listing?

Hi @BrittanyG you can try using Mapmaker to delete it. Search for 'Gary Burger' and make sure you have the right listing you want to delete, then click Edit > Delete this. Provide as much explanation as possible.

gary burger.png

Can you try it first and see if it works?

Level 1

Thank you, Ivan. I have followed the steps and I hope that it works. I appreciate your help!

Level 10

@iyudhi @BrittanyG

If POI is marked on Maps as permanently closed it should not be removed in Map Maker. It means that after few weeks/days the POI will be permanently deleted from Maps if few Local Guides confirm that POI is not opened. That's normal behaviour of GMaps.

Regards,

Jacek

Google Diamond Product Expert - Maps, Business Profile, Earth, Gmail, Accounts | Street View Trusted Photographer | Local Guide | retired: Map Maker Help Forum Top Contributor & Poland RER/RL
Level 1

It had been marked as closed for 6 months and still was not removed completely from Google Maps. I went in and marked it as opened and requested it be removed through the map maker. I hope this is okay?

Connect Moderator

@JacekNK What does the 'Delete' function on MapMaker does then? Is that not deleting the location on Maps?

Level 8

Hi there,

If this is a true duplicate it needs to be reported as one. Using the "report this" option in Map Maker is currently the best way to do this.

If the closed location is where the business used to operate it needs to stay as closed on the map. We do not delete closed locations from the map.

Google Maps brings data from many different sources, the closed listing helps keep that old location from being re-indexed and added back to the map.

Google Maps Platinum Product Expert, Top Contributor for Google Map Maker (Product Retired) and Regional Lead (Product Retired).
Level 1

If I claim a listing and go into my Google Businesses and delete it completely (and Google doesn't remove the information from Google maps, places, etc.) what is the point?

I understand what you're saying, however, businesses are complaining about listings that have been marked as closed for months but are still showing up and could cause confusion for potential clients and/or leads.

Level 8

Hi Brittany,

The delete option in the GMB dashboard just removes the businesses claim from the map point.

I would suggest talking to GMB support about this, this is really out of scope for the Local Guides Program.

GMB Support forum: https://goo.gl/S9LWdw

Google Maps Platinum Product Expert, Top Contributor for Google Map Maker (Product Retired) and Regional Lead (Product Retired).
Connect Moderator

Claiming a duplicate is against the guidelines of Google My Business.

When in the GMB dashboard, when you press Delete you are removing the item from the dashboard (and thus releasing the claim).  It would be the way to fix an accidental claim of a duplicate.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages