Harrison1's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Guide: My Map Legend on how I identify roads

Hey guys sometimes I find it hard to figure out which type of road/path is appropriate for my community so I thought I would make a quick guide on how I distinguish which roads are which so I can report them properly.

Roads:

not this might be different per country. These roads are canadian.

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 6.44.13 PM.png

Orange road: Highways/Interstates

Lighter orange road: Exits and onramps for highways

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 6.41.54 PM.png

White: Normal roads. It seems busier roads are bigger and fatter than suburban community roads. The smaller the road gets the less important the road is.

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 6.41.30 PM.png

Light grey: Parking lot roads. You need to zoom in tho see these. They are usually seen in parking lots.

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 6.51.37 PM.png

Dark roads: Roads that go underground (might be tunnels as well)

Pedestrian Based Trails/Roads

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 6.42.19 PM.png

Dotted brown line: Trails (Usually gravel or unpaved trails or walkways)

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 6.55.34 PM.png

Brown line: Pedestrian trails and walkways paved with concrete, bricks. A typical pedestrian walkway

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 6.44.00 PM.png

Skinny white line: I had trouble figuring out this one but when I compared different cities my conclusion is that these are "roads" that are used both by pedestrians and cars. Or pedestrian only roads. Big and wide walkways.

Screen Shot 2017-05-28 at 7.00.47 PM.png

Light Grey/Dark grey dotted line: Stairs

Hope this helps anyone who is confused with what road is which

Paging @GusMoreira for confirmation

North Vancouver, BC, Canada
1 comment
Connect Moderator

Re: Guide: My Map Legend on how I identify roads

Hello,

The display of the roads within Maps matches up to the priority that they have been assigned.  In order to produce a consistent map, these priorities apply around the world and thus may not necessarily match up with local designations.  You can thus make some generalizations; but if you find a road that is locally designated as a highway that is not orange, for example, that does not necessarily mean there is any error.

Viewing and editing of priorities was available within Map Maker, but is not yet available within Maps.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages