GregW's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Re: English names or local language?

If a feature needs more than one name, then it can only be added via MapMaker.

If MapMaker is not available, then the only name you can add is the primary name in the local language/script.

Adding multiple names together is not allowed and will only make the feature worse.

MapMaker forum: http://goo.gl/6e5Kv9 :: Maps forum: http://goo.gl/Xy2G79 :: Give Kudos for great content!
Level 10

I agree with @Keith A That is the only sollution from the point of Map Maker.

But let's ask LG Team members about their point of view @Corrie@mchomsky ?

Regards,

Jacek

Google Diamond Product Expert - Maps, Business Profile, Earth, Gmail, Accounts | Street View Trusted Photographer | Local Guide | retired: Map Maker Help Forum Top Contributor & Poland RER/RL
Level 5

@KeithA wrote:

If a feature needs more than one name, then it can only be added via MapMaker.

If MapMaker is not available, then the only name you can add is the primary name in the local language/script.

I guess that's going to stop me completely from adding any new places in the future. I can't see Laos being too far up the list of countries to be getting Mapmaker any time soon. 

Former Google Contributor

@GregW @JacekNK @Keith A @iyudhi @Sovon

I raised this issue with the Google Maps team today and they told me they are working on improvements to this. So stay tuned, it will be getting better in Google Maps 🙂

Level 8

Local language first, then english.

Level 3

Don't worry it will be added in the near future! Google Maps is improving fast.

Level 4

Hola,  contesto para sugerirle unas variables que lo puedan ayudar.

Con respecto a si traducir nombres locales al inglés, creo que respeta más la propuesta del programa "local guide" el dejarlo en lengua nativa, ya que preserva el espíritu de ser "local" aún en nuestra calidad de turista.

Si bien la búsqueda se acota mucho si no es en inglés, te sugiero a que si lo que quieres traducir es un servicio, será oportuno que lo hicieras. Pero si es una marca regional mejor no. Puedes si lo deseas, sacarle una foto al lugar en cuestión y en la descripción poner en inglés todo lo que pudiese ser oportuno para el que no entiende el idioma de la región.

Espero que te pueda ser de utilidad. Saludos 

Level 5

We have this issue in the UAE where Map Maker is no longer available. People are creating duplicate locations: one in English and the other in Arabic, and the map is getting messy. Where in Map Maker it should be one location in the approved languages, i.e. Local, Primary, etc… I posed the question on the Map Maker forum a while back on what to do about these added locations and no one ever responded and now I see the topic is locked, so it doesn’t appear they really care about this…oh well…Guess we'll have to wait for MM to open and then clean it all up.

Level 5

Same problem here in Greece (map maker not available). My first added place had the name both in Greek and in English, but it just seemed wrong. So all the next places I added, I named them in Greek (local language). I've been wanted to ask about it and then I found this post which is spot on. From the answers I gather that in the countries where mapmaker is not available yet, the right thing to do, is to name the place you want to add in the local language and when mapmaker is available then add the name in other languages as well. Have a nice day everybody!

Level 5

But is this practical for a business, say a hotel who wants to attract guests, to only have their entry in the local language and script? This may well mean that the vast majority of people looking for their business are unable to find it because they can't read a language that is only spoken in that one country. It would make Maps almost unusable for me as a traveller once I go beyond English speaking countries if I want to search for anything. As I've said before, mapmaker will be a long time coming to Laos so I am unable to add anything to Maps because I can't write in the local Lao script. 

@SimonC wrote:

Same problem here in Greece (map maker not available). My first added place had the name both in Greek and in English, but it just seemed wrong. So all the next places I added, I named them in Greek (local language). I've been wanted to ask about it and then I found this post which is spot on. From the answers I gather that in the countries where mapmaker is not available yet, the right thing to do, is to name the place you want to add in the local language and when mapmaker is available then add the name in other languages as well. Have a nice day everybody!