BuddhikaB's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Edits not getting approved

@WetCoastCanuck wrote:

Pretty much everyone is in the same boat other than some have more experience than others.

I can understand Google's point of view, it is a proprietary algorithm that directly affects its livelihood if it is figured out and manipulated.

My experience is if the edits matches some authoritative source e.g. Government website or yellow pages then it will go through.

If not then it depends on your level, reputation and other factors to have "secondary inspection" performed.

When adding places I just add the basics first, i.e. address and phone number... then other information goes later, the more information searches it has to perform, the more likelihood of further inspections and delays.

Just the experience of someone who have ~7000 edits / places added so far.

Thank you for spelling out the behind-the-scenes aspects of this situation.

Slowly it is becoming clear that the automated editing system can create problems for those of us who try to be diligent in our contributions in good faith and that repeated attempts  to correct obvious errors could severely affect our (as yet undisclosed) trust level and even lead us to being falsely flagged as spammers every time one of our submissions is marked as "NOT APPLIED".

While I can appreciate the concerns of the corporation regarding this issue I do feel that there needs to be a lot more direct dialogue with the designers and decision-makers since the bulk of the comments that I see from those who pull rank tends to be dismissive of any attempt to improve the existing system.

You can spend a lot of time researching (and posting) the details for a given location only to find that your efforts are entirely wasted and that someone with the "right credentials" can step in to "help" you resolve the situation and thereby gain points for themselves even though you have done all of the legwork and research.

Parts of this seems to be a "mugs game" as they say in the UK and so I am learning to rely on the sound (and honest) advise provided by experienced contributors who are at Level 8 or above.

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■