cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Editing Names of Roads/Areas/Quarters in Google Maps

Hello @BruceDM

Thank you for responding.  

What I am attempting to do is correct misinformation. I fully understand that i cannot geographically relocate a citi or a river or parks.

Why can't I correctly name the area that comprises the Town of Ossining?

As I described the Town of Ossining is composed of Ossining Village,  Briarcliff, and the Unincorporated areas as shown in the map.

There exists in Google Maps a great deal of misinformation in general and even more specifically in reference to the "Town of Ossining" Ossining Village, Briarcliff, etc.

What is it you do not understand? Ask me questions... 

Former Google Contributor

Hello @VBenedict,

The items it sounds like you would like to add - adding township names, or possibly redrawing the highlighted districts within Ossining are not items you can directly do via the 'suggest an edit' option of Google Maps.  Places in Google Maps that you cannot edit include established landmarks, established points-of-interests or even the names of a city/township - Only Google can edit these although you can always send feedback and suggest your changes through Google maps. To send feedback you can follow these steps below:

Find the location in question on the map.
Click the hamburger icon ☰
Click Send feedback => **Choose your relevant feedback **

If you are looking to add or edit the name of a place though (like a business), you can do that by following the steps outlined here.

As an FYI, Google algorithms analyze different factors, such as the information submitted, the location of the edit, your mapping activity, and other factors to make sure everything we are adding to the map is accurate and follows our guidelines.

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 8

@BruceDM. If you perform a search using "Town of Ossining" MAPS will bring you to "Ossining" and when you click on "Ossining" it will bring you to s very confusing and inaccurate page.

This is what I have been attempting to correct.

Former Google Contributor

Hello @VBenedict,

This is the page I see when following your instructions. You can add photos to this by clicking on any pictures but you cannot edit the information listed on this page.  Please advise if this is the page you are deeming as inaccurate and if not, share a screen shot or some additional detail. Thank you!

Clicking on OssiningClicking on Ossining

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 8

Yes @BruceDM this is the page. The map you see adjacent is an image I uploaded in an attemp to have MAPS evaluate it.

The blurb/info found on this page is being fed by Wikipedia as far as I can decipher.  

As I am certain you are aware, not all of the data in Wikipedia is accurate.

Correct?

Connect Moderator

What is almost certainly happening here is that the polygon you are trying to get edited already has both the name "Ossining" and "Town of Ossining" applied to it.

Features can have multiple names.  "Town of Ossining" would be the Official name (I have capitalized Official because that is an actual tag on the database that gets applied to the name) and then the common use name of "Ossining" would be known as the Primary name.  A search for either, and any other names that have also been applied, would all point to the same feature.

Within Maps we can only view the Primary name, and at this time we can also only edit the Primary name (for those features which can be edited).  If you submit feedback stating that the formal name is "Town of Ossining", the staff processing the request would check it and see that it's already been applied.  Even if it hadn't been applied before they would then add it but you would not see a change as the Primary name remains Ossining.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages