Chris718's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Edited Pin Multiple Times But Never Approved... Any Insight?

Hi Guides, 

When searching for the following address: (1851 Steamboat Pkwy, Reno, NV 89521) the map pin is shown in the wrong location. I have requested several times to have the pin moved through map edits, but the changes never get verified. Google is putting the pin over "Damonte Ranch Park" when it should in fact be over "Harvest at Damonte Ranch" Can anyone assist in getting this change verified, or point me in the right direction to getting it changed? Below is a screenshot of the correct pin location, and a screenshot of the incorrect location which you get when searching the address.

The Incorrect Pin LocationThe Incorrect Pin LocationCorrect Pin LocationCorrect Pin Location

Much Appreciated, 

Chris

Reno, NV, United States
7 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Edited Pin Multiple Times But Never Approved... Any Insight?

Hello,

What email did you receive as a response to each edit; did it say they were approved or not applied?

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 1

I received the following message from Google. I have made this edit on different accounts hoping it may help speed up the process too. Not sure if that hurts or helps. 

Google Response.JPG

Level 7

@Flash, Ive studied this area a lot and here what Ive found.

There is no Google Earth, GMap Satellite, or Street View imagery thats recent enough to show the apartment building in question, yet we do see a POI for it already, 
Harvest at Damonte Ranch

The sequencing of addresses along Steamboat Parkway is good going west-to-east as far as the US Bank Branch at 1161, but at the next POI on the Pkwy, the Twisted Fork, its marker says 1191, while the pkwy has reached 1311, It stays 1311 to a point about 800 ft past the Veterans Hwy intersection, when it changes abruptly to 1950.  An odd number to an even number on the same side of the street!  The street number 1950 is the same all the way past the next intersection.

Nowhere east of the Veterans Hwy intersection does Street View show us anything with a street number on it.  However, the local government has an ArcGIS system where we can find the street numbers for any location or road segments.  Not allowed to use that to request road numbering changes, or could we?

Connect Moderator

@Chris718 wrote:

I received the following message from Google. I have made this edit on different accounts hoping it may help speed up the process too. Not sure if that hurts or helps. 

That is the confirmation of making the edit.  As it states in it, you'll be contacted when the edit is processed.

If you haven't been contacted then it's waiting in queue.  The queue is quite long right now, and everyone must wait their turn when their edit goes for human review.  There is no way to bypass the queue.

Making multiple edits simply makes the queue that much longer for everyone.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Connect Moderator

Nowhere east of the Veterans Hwy intersection does Street View show us anything with a street number on it.  However, the local government has an ArcGIS system where we can find the street numbers for any location or road segments.  Not allowed to use that to request road numbering changes, or could we?

You are correct, we cannot use that.

But we don't need to, @Chris718 has personal knowledge and thus he can make the edit, which he has already done.

Level 10

@Flash wrote:
That is the confirmation of making the edit.  As it states in it, you'll be contacted when the edit is processed.

If you haven't been contacted then it's waiting in queue. 

Unfortunately, the email notification does give the user this impression -- that they will be contacted when the edit is processed.

A finer read gives the real world result: "We'll let you know once the changes are published."  What Google says by omission is "If your changes are not published, we won't let you know (by email)."  The only way for a user to know if their edit has been denied is to look in their edit history (Your Contributions > EDITS) and scroll through how many edits one may have (a few or a lot) and see if their edit is there with the words "Not Applied" beside it.  That is the only way a user knows their edit wasn't, and won't be published.

Likewise, if a user hasn't been contacted it doesn't mean the edit is waiting in the queue.  Again, the only email a user receives after the initial "confirming" email is if the edit is published.  To find out if the edit is still in the queue, the user does the same process of scrolling through their edits ... once located, if it is in the queue the word Pending will be displayed below it.

What makes the edit communication even less helpful to a user is the screen that appears immediately after the user has submitted the edit. (see sample screen shot)  The email says "You'll get an email when your suggestion is reviewed.  In my view, the "common sense (wo)man on the street" meaning of that is exactly what you have suggested in your response -- that the user will get an email when the suggestion (edit) is reviewed, with the results of the review.  Nope.

The email that arrives (usually) within seconds/minutes of the user making the edit (which has been discussed above) IS the email referred to in that on-screen notification the user read just moments earlier.  The email begins by stating "Your suggestion is being reviewed."  So Google gets to keep their promise as that email begins the review process/status.  The user suffers the consequences of unclear communications.

I cannot see how one result of this specious communication is not an increase in posts from users -- either in this forum or in the Google Maps Help Forum inquiring, in one manner or another, about the status of their edit.

On-screen confirmation noticeOn-screen confirmation notice

Emailed confirmation noticeEmailed confirmation notice

Level 7

@Chris718, I just noticed from this Street View image, on Steamboat at Horse Ranch Rd, a large two story building under construction.  Is that where you live?

What is the name of the road that goes up to it?

@Flash, Im hoping you can help me understand better how Google does street numbering on Steamboat with very few POIs along it.  This is Ive learned:

The highest street number on Steamboat to the W of Veterans Pkwy is the result of a typo in the POI for a claimed Subway sandwich shop, it says 1311, while the building/footprint plus two other tenants, AND the Subway website store locator, all say it should be 1131.  I realize this error is something that only Subway can fix.

Heading E on Steamboat, the next highest street number is 1950, which is at the POI, Damonte Ranch Park, That POI is on the opposite side of Steamboat from the Subway POI, which explains why the numbers are odd vs even.

Still, to get from the Subway at "1311" to this Park at 1950, we pass the Harvest at Damonte Ranch POI at 1851 Steamboat.  My concern is that Google does not include "1851" in the street numbering progression along Steamboat.  What are your thoughts on this?