ArvidasN's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Contribution - NOT APPLIED

Dear Local Guide Community Support Team,

Being level 3 guide I have faced certain difficulties.

Number of my edits are not accepted, the only feedback is the status notification NOT APPLIED.

To my estimation we have situation of false rejection.
Example:
Dauginių Šv. vyskupo Stanislovo bažnyčia
Current place is incorrect, category is inaccurate.
My edits are rejected.

Moreover I have learned that all my contributions, adds of new place are rejected with the same status notification NOT APPLIED.

Example:

Traupio Šv. Onos bažnyčia

I have used my best to describe the object properly and comprehensive.
The object does comply with Goole Maps Terms of use.
It is a valid, available, public object, catholic church, described in Wikipedia.
The contribution is rejected.

Google Maps community responded that possible reason is that somebody somebody flagged me as a spammer.

Would you please advise the reasons of rejections and please give tips how to avoid this kind of difficulties.
I appreciate your feedback and suggestions in advance.
Regards
Arvidas
Lithuania
40 comments
Level 10

Re: Contribution - NOT APPLIED

Hi @ArvidasN

Unfortunately this happens to all of us. I am level 5 (with more than 6,700 points) and some of my edits also do not get applied. Have a look: 

not-applied.png

In MapMaker there is a feedback mechanism. Now that it is closing soon, I hope that some way of feedback will be implemented in maps as well.

On the other hand, the more experienced mapper you are, the more edits and new additions will be accepted. I know it's frustrating but please, do not let this discourage you from contributing.

Level 9
Level 9

@ArvidasN wrote:
Google Maps community responded that possible reason is that somebody somebody flagged me as a spammer.

If you've been flagged you won't be able to make any edits at all so a way to test this is to make a few small edits. Find something simple that needs changing (not a place that you've already tried) and make one edit to the listing

Level 10

When I was still a beginner at editing, I found that moving the marker to the correct position (well, in case it did not need a very distant move) was what was accepted easiest. Try that with @Pea's suggestion. On the other hand, sometimes street addresses (numbers) may be quite off on Google Map and if that's the case (and the marker was placed there for this reason), Google might not apply the move either.

Level 5

Dear Csaba,

thank you for your feedback and sharing experience.

However I do not think that "it happens to all of us" can be used as excuse. I do not support the suggestion to continue wasting of time (activity with no positive result) and ignoring false rejections. 

In the situation all of us we have Problem, we need to talk what is the reason of this problem and to remove this reason. If not, Google Maps project will go down.

I am looking forward to hearing suggestions what can be done except ignoring the problem.

Regards

Arvidas

Level 5

Hi Philip,

Thank you for your note and suggestion.

In general my edits are accepted. It makes me wondering why obvious edits are false rejected and why non of my new adds is validated and accepted.

I consider the question being not answered yet.

Arvidas

Level 10

@ArvidasN lot of edits do not get approved very quick.they take a lot of time. i too have faced this problem and got frustrated .

but what actually happens is until and unless some fellow local guide approves that edit as genuine it does not get approved. this is what i have observed from my experience.Screenshot (128)_LI.jpg

Level 9
Level 9

@ArvidasN wrote:

It makes me wondering why obvious edits are false rejected

A lot of edit moderation is done automatically, some good edits get rejected, some bad edits get accepted. The line between approved/not applied is probably quite fine and constantly shifting - how the algorithms work we'll never know, Google won't tell us otherwise spammers will use that information to game the system. I don't think you're gonna get 'an answer'. (fwiw I've been mapping seven years and get denials to perfectly good edits)

Level 10

@ArvidasN lot of edits do not get approved very quick.they take a lot of time. i too have faced this problem and got frustrated .

but what actually happens is until and unless some fellow local guide approves that edit as genuine it does not get approved. this is what i have observed from my experience.Screenshot (128)_LI.jpg

Level 5

Hi @Csaba

I my primary post I gave the example of Dauginių Šv. vyskupo Stanislovo bažnyčia

Current place:

https://www.google.lt/maps/place/Daugini%C5%B3+%C5%A0v.+vyskupo+Stanislovo+ba%C5%BEny%C4%8Dia/@56.14...

Correct place:

https://www.google.lt/maps/place/56%C2%B009'00.5%22N+22%C2%B032'31.6%22E/@56.150127,22.5399343,17z/d...

whereas

- Google Maps recognise the address

- The object (church) can be seen on Street view

There is no obvious reason to reject the proper placement of the marker (current marker is 1 km away)

Therefore I consider it shall be useful to understand the reason of rejection in particular.

Arvidas