JeroenM's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Categories: The ABC of Map Editing (1/5)

Categories The ABC.png

Introduction to Categories in Maps

This is the first article in a series about categories in Maps. In this introductory article, we learn something about the function and importance of categories, and why Local Guides should see categories as their ABC in becoming a skilled Map Editor. In following articles of this series, we shall look at categories from different perspectives and how categories in Maps evolved and could be further exploited and developed.

The aim of this series of articles is to promote best practice and to kick-start discussions on this topic. Please don’t hesitate to comment and join the discussion.

Why Categories

Adding category labels to places on maps is necessary to classify the listings and allow both people and search engines to quickly understand what the core ‘function’ is of a place.

Since not all names of places are explanatory, a taxonomy like a category label will help users to identify what they are looking at and find what they are looking for. It is therefore important that an accurate category is selected when adding a new place to Maps. Using an inaccurate category will lead to misunderstandings and could mean a place does not show up in the search results when people look for it.

Another bad result of using categories incorrectly is that places on Maps end up on the wrong layer or shouldn’t be on the Base Map in the first place.

This brings us to a very common misunderstanding triggered by some ambiguous advice that often leads to bad practice:

“If you cannot find the category you are looking for, select something close to it.”

This sounds a little like: “no matter what, come up with something”.

A better advice would be to widen your definition as explained in the following example and to accept that the absence of a category might mean it is not mappable (by you).

For example, if you cannot find “Turkish pizzeria”, use “Turkish Restaurant” instead.  The example uses a wider definition, a place to eat Turkish food, but not just pizza.

The Basics

The classification goes from wide to narrow. For example Restaurant > Sushi Restaurant > Conveyer Belt Sushi Restaurant.

The category tree in action.The category tree in action.

So, if you found a restaurant in Spain that only serves croquetas (a type of tapas) and you conclude that there is no category for Croquetas Restaurant, you go for Tapas Restaurant, which is the wider definition in the category tree.

Best practice is that you always select the most specific category. So, if you are trying to add a “Pizza Take-Away” restaurant and you find both categories “Take-Away” and “Pizza-Take-Away”, you select the latter, which is the most specific available category in the list.

Coming up next:

Categories from a Maps perspective

Categories from a Point of Interest perspective

Categories from a Local Guides perspective

Categories Evolving and Product Development

About the Author:

I am a Local Guides that spent many hours reading every post I could find on Connect on this topic, studying the Google help pages and related forums, including those of Map Maker and the Google My Business program. This does not guarantee that all I write is correct. I trust however that when indeed I did misunderstand something, that fellow Local Guides and Moderators will correct me in the comments.

8 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Categories: The ABC of Map Editing (1/5)

Great work @JeroenM

Thanks for sharing.

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 10

Another problem is that in different countries categories are not the same. Example pharmacy chemist.

That's not even taking into account other languages.

Level 8

Hi @Mjyates,

Thank you for your contribution to this topic-discussion on categories.
You will find that the fourth article is all about language issues and User Xperience.
Please check out https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Categories-from-a-Local-Guide-s-Perspective... and let me know if I missed anything. Your feedback and contribution are highly appreciated.

Cheers!

JeroenM

Connect Moderator

Replacing a more general category with a more specific one is also a great way to make it through the dark and/or rainy days that keep you from going outside. If you look around in areas you know, you will notice that loads of POI have very generic categories like 'shop' or 'sports club', and in a lot of cases more specific categories are available.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
Level 8

@JanVanHaver

You are absolutely right that many categories assigned by people can be improved by following the rule to choose the most specific. Don't be discouraged if you get Not-Applied responses to category edits, as places can have multiple categories attached to them and we can only see one for the moment when editing Maps. So if you add a category that is already (hidden) in the list, you get the Not-Applied as you are suggesting a duplicate.

Level 8

Otro problema, por que mejor se adapte lo menos en mi pais son los monumentos, tienes que ir a museo, dos veces para encontrar una categoria que mejor se adapte, siempre se termina en museo al aire libre. Hay lugares que no tienen categoria compatible y lo que hago, es aclarar al lado del nombre.Tambien me ha pasado de encontrar la categoria, pero lleva el nombre de otro pais y me pregunto, como lo hicieron ? un ejemplo cualquiera, categoria: contructora de barcos en China ?

LuaPL
Level 8

Otro problema, por que mejor se adapte lo menos en mi pais son los monumentos, tienes que ir a museo, dos veces para encontrar una categoria que mejor se adapte, siempre se termina en museo al aire libre. Hay lugares que no tienen categoria compatible y lo que hago, es aclarar al lado del nombre.Tambien me ha pasado de encontrar la categoria, pero lleva el nombre de otro pais y me pregunto, como lo hicieron ? un ejemplo cualquiera, categoria: contructora de barcos en China ?

LuaPL
Level 8

Podria saber porque al lado de mi nombre aparece escrito rightraig , pense que era un bulling ya resuelto

LuaPL