Chister's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Re: can't add (short telephone numbers / Hotline) in phone Field (in Egypt)

Workarounds of any sort are specifically banned by Google, and using them can put your account at risk.  Adding bad data to the map just create issues.

Please read what has already been said above in this thread.  Google will almost certainly NOT add the ability to use short numbers, as you are supposed to add the unique number for a place, not their call centre number that rings elsewhere.  The phone number is one of the main ways that one location is distinguished from another, adding the same number to multiple places causes database issues and can lead to locations being merged together.  Please either add the number for that location, or no number at all.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

Hi @AhmedFawzi55,

You need to make sure the correct party can be reached by dialing the digits exactly you have entered.

Otherwise, you are putting wrong data to Maps and will cause a lot of hassles to the innocent party getting the calls.

Level 6

OK, Understood this field is for unique phone numbers only.

And I will leave it empty in almost places.

But from your replays and as we all here try to help people who want to find a place or service, I have to say why we talk about one field!

Why Google not create two fields one for unique phone number for the place and the other one if that place have a short number or Hotline number,

By that way we will provide a way to people to communicate with the place / service they need easier, right

@Flash

@Chister

@YK1001

@PaulPavlinovich

Connect Moderator

There are already multiple phone number fields, though Maps only has the ability to edit one.  But all phone numbers listed still need to be for the place being mapped.  In almost every case short phone numbers ring in a different place.

While adding another field for "short phone numbers only" has some merit, the problem would be that if both types of phone numbers were allowed then people will enter them in the wrong fields all the time.  In addition, the fields in a POI are used around the word.  Short phone number are only used in a few places.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 9

In my case, it’s adding phone numbers to NYC city parks. The city has a short line (dialling 311) for all city-related topics, including individual park sites. Yet, Google Maps, on the “add missing information” feature at the bottom of the mapper’s profile, seeks phone numbers for city parks. 

Either GM needs to remove this option / request from such locations—unscrupulous individuals might, in attempts to gain points, add a fictitious number—, or allow for short numbers, etc. 

Connect Moderator

The fields available for POIs are not customized by type of category and precise location; that would be more work than just having Googlers collect the information themselves.