LorenzoR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

individual contributors visibility

Hi,

concerning the Local Guides Challenge 2016...how are the individual contributors judged? for instance say that an almost unknown contributor shares one the best pics of this contest...may it be fall unnoticed?

cheers,

Lorenzo Rossato

6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: individual contributors visibility

Hi @LorenzoR,

As with any of our contests, a single review or photo won't win. It's not the most high-quality reviews or photos in the sense that they are of the highest quality, but rather in the sense of quantity. So the individuals who contribute the MOST (e.g., the highest number of) reviews and photos (both must be quality to count; we will filter out spam) are the ones who will win individual prizes.

Thanks for your interest!

View solution in original post

Solution

Hi @LorenzoR,

As with any of our contests, a single review or photo won't win. It's not the most high-quality reviews or photos in the sense that they are of the highest quality, but rather in the sense of quantity. So the individuals who contribute the MOST (e.g., the highest number of) reviews and photos (both must be quality to count; we will filter out spam) are the ones who will win individual prizes.

Thanks for your interest!

Level 4

Most likely you'll just get an email showing how many times your photo has been seen, I removed all of my professional photos(at least I hope they are removed) because I can send those photos to other places and be paid for my contribution/work, sometimes in the $1000s. If you're doing something more than just basic cellphone pics for google maps, then you're giving too much for nothing in return, and your professional photo will not be of worth to anyone through google maps. 

Hi @DavidP,

The photo views email is a fun way to see your impact on Google Maps — I think it's neat to think of all the people I've helped by uploading photos of restaurant interiors or hotel rooms, etc. That being said, I want to clarify that this Challenge isn't about photo views, it's about the number of places you add photos to — Local Guides improve businesses and help others by sharing their photos on the map.

Thanks for your feedback.

Level 8

Congratulations to all the individual winners! I'm so happy for you, guys. I know it took a lot of efforts to write good reviews and upload photos.

But, I wonder, how many points have the winners accumulated to be the winners of this year's challenge? People could use it as reference for next year's challenge (hopefully there'll be another). 

Thanks.

Happy holiday!

Rio Rinaldo

Level 8

hello @MegS!

i've just seen that individual winners of the challenge have been released some days ago and i would be interested in the way the decision was taken. looking at the results i reached the conclusion that really a lot of my contributions have to be spam in your view and i'd like to know why.

during the competition you wrote:
So the individuals who contribute the MOST (e.g., the highest number of) reviews and photos (both must be quality to count; we will filter out spam) are the ones who will win individual prizes.

looking at the winners profiles (i think i've found the right ones) i should have contributed way more pictures and reviews than some of the winners. there is even at least one winner who has much less total (career) points than i've collected during the competition.

i put a lot of work into this and i'm still trying to improve the maps quality for my hometown. to avoid adding low quality content in future i'd really like to know why so many of my contributions seem to be spam for google. there's no hint during the uploading process or afterwards and i don't see any big differences between my pictures/reviews and the ones the winning users did upload during the competition.

it would be very helpful for me (and i think also for many other users here) to get more insights in your quality standards. thanks!

Hi @digitoph,

We don't ever share our spam algorithms but as you quoted me, individual contributors were selected based on the volume of their (non-spam) contributions. The winners all contributed hundreds and hundreds (if not thousands) of reviews and photos.  It took several weeks to verify spam and authenticity, and they are our top ten across the board.

Thanks for your understanding.