EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

The Great Wall of Lagos

Have you heard about the great wall of Lagos? Well, you are about to discover.... 

1. http://static.flickr.com/2033/2088455415_b40bd015db.jpg
    Bar Beach 2014 Showing the Great Wall of Lagos    
    http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20111216&t=2&i=547795616&w=&fh=&fw=&ll=700&pl=390&r=2011-12-16T212003Z_03_GM1E7CG01JT01_RTRRPP_0_NIGERIA
    Bar Beach 2011 showing the Great Wall stretch
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5d/2b/92/5d2b924549c9ba33728e825b450f9c4a.jpg
    Bar Beach 2013 Showing Concrete defence along the coastline
    The first time I visited the Lagos Bar Beach was in 1990  with my family in our brown Volkswagen beetle. It was a beautiful breathtaking experience seeing the massive ocean before me after driving from Marina to Ahmadu Bello way. The blue skies and sand dunes, the horses and coconut drinks made it mementos for kids like us then. The beach attracted residents and visitors from outside Lagos. It was the most beautiful place to see nature at the time until Lekki beach emerged and the bar beach was gradually neglected. It is the most popular beach in Nigeria, nevertheless. It stretches from the Institute of Oceanography in the west to  the east (Kuramo). 

Bar Beach 2003
    For more than 100 years the sea has been eating away the shoreline of Victoria Island in Lagos - some 10 metres disappear every year, according to research. In the late 1990s Lagos Bar Beach, gradually lost its aesthetics due to flooding, erosion and the massive concrete works being done along the coastline to mitigate the natural disaster. However, people still loved the beach as other activities like religious rites, horse riding, swimming, beach football and picnic kept the place alive.

Forward to 2009 Eko Atlantic City was planned to become an ultra modern city, intended to be built on land reclaimed from the Atlantic Ocean (including Bar Beach). Already, most of the land has been reclaimed and the first tower is under construction. The proposed development is targeting about 250,000 residents and 150,000 commuters flowing daily to the Island. The  "project is planned to return the coast to its position in the 1950s and 1960s, reversing damage done by erosion". The Eko Atlantic project promises to turn Lagos into a hugely important financial powerhouse.

The Eko Atlantic City project received global recognition in 2009. The launching of the project was flagged  off in 2013.

Welcome to Eko Atlantic! 

How far has the construction gone and what will be the environmental impact? Read more here

Have you heard about the Great Wall of Lagos or the Eko Atlantic City?

Xoxo
    Emeka 
2 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: The Great Wall of Lagos

Hey @EmekaUlor,

Thanks for sharing this. It was quite interesting to read about Lagos. However, I want to let you know that your post might appear as self promotion to some people which is not allowed here. Please take a look at our Local Guides program rules to make sure you're on the right path.

Due to the volume of private messages Googlers receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Connect Moderator

Re: The Great Wall of Lagos

@NadyaPN apologies for my mistake. I'll work on it. 

Thank you.