KimberlyT's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Northern Virginia Meet Up?

Is anyone around Northern Virginia/Sourthern Maryland/Washington DC (the DMV)? If so have you all ever had a meet up event locally in that area? That is where I live and would like to help organize a Meet Up? event somewhere around that area if anyone is interested!

Reston, VA, United States
26 comments
Level 7

Re: Northern Virginia Meet Up?

I am in Northern Virginia too and used to run different meetup (on meetup.com)

Happy to help organize a meetup this Fall with you. Let us pick a day (in September), time (weekend or weekday evening after work?)  and location (in Fairfax or Loudoun County).

Is there anyone else in NoVA aside from us in the local guide community? I just started actively last week.

Level 3

If it's in September, would need to be end of September. I'm out of the country first couple weeks or so. Fairfax or Loundon would be nice. If you want a park, there are plenty. If you don't want a park, Mosaic District is always nice for a meet-up. Plenty of charging for any EV drivers like myself too 🙂

Level 7

Let us plan a local guide meetup in Fairfax at the Mosaic District for the last week of September.

Please pick a day between 9/25 and 9/30 for an evening that works well for your schedule.

I would not recommend a park since there is nothing to do at a park at night. I would recommend a bar with available space for a small group like ours. Most places, if they have the space, will welcome (any) group of people that buys their own drinks (cash bar). I don't drink, but a bar is more social and better for networking in general. Let me know which bars you prefer with available space in the Mosaic District. It should only cost us the drinks we buy. We don't rent a space since no one will pay it.

The sooner we schedule it, the larger crowd we can gather of local guides from the area.

BTW, I do not see any NOVA or VA community for local guides, so one could be started.

MD, DC and Baltimore each have a local guide community.

Level 3

My wife doesn't drink either haha! There aren't any "bars" at Mosaic District, but there are places that have a bar. There are quite a few nice restaurants there though. Maybe you want to pick one? The movie theater is actually a cool place. It has a lounge/bar at the top floor. Keep in mind, Google will help sponsor the event and provide some things.

http://mosaicdistrict.com/

Can one of you do more of the planning? I will talk to my wife for a day that works.

Level 3

Here's the  main page, with things for some resources, games, etc. Not sure how we order stickers for name tags, etc.

https://www.google.com/local/guides/community-and-events/

Level 4

Did you guys ever come up with a date? I'm in NoVA and would like to join 🙂

Level 7

Since no date has been decided on yet for the NoVA meetup and we agreed on Fairfax as the meeting area (address to be firmed up soon), let us decide between:

A) Saturday, October 1

B) Sunday, October 2.

Please reply with your vote and share a public area (not a park) where we can all meet easily with available parking.

No one confirmed on anything firm within the mosaic district yet, so Fairfax is the county for now (even though I live in Loudoun).

Level 4

Bummer. I'm not available that weekend. Next time :))
Level 3

What's wrong with Mosaic District? Great place to pick for food, and hang out for a period of time. Even a cafe at the movies. I think those dates are okay. At least according to my calendar. Will check with the wife 😆 I'm very busy planning other things with other meetups, clubs, church, etc. so sorry I'm not that responsive. Normally I'm the one planning events for things I do haha!

Unfortunately, Google doesn't provide any "goodies" now like they used to. Or it seems like they used to.