Sovon's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Local Guides Geo-Walk in Howrah

Simply the meet up was awesome. This was the 3rd meet up by me in our West Bengal Local Guides community. Together we enjoyed the day a lot. There were 3 new members. And we also got a friend Adrien, he is from France and was exploring the Botanical garden area by himself and when he noticed us he wanted to join us and he was also keen about the whole Local Guides program so we counted him in.

First of all we captured photos and learned more about The Great Banyan Tree which is the main attraction there. And the tree is over 250 years old. Then we corrected some wrong information about the place on map, added few nearby missing places.

Every one was so excited. The weather was also perfect. It was totally an awesome day..!!!

Event Link: https://plus.google.com/events/cjevsg6heio2tfssv45uvvs3e9s

Photo Album Link: https://goo.gl/photos/1J3oAwhWDmM35oLg8

Event Video Link: https://youtu.be/aSL3tCqjDrI

Below are some facts about The Great banyan Tree:

The Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Indian Botanic Garden, Kolkata, is home to this famous Banyan tree. 

Features which makes it so great:

• The Great Banyan Tree is over two hundred and fifty years old!

• Covers about 14,500 square meters of land (3.5 square acres) and continues to spread beyond, growing wider with each passing year!

• Survivor of two great cyclones in 1884 and 1886!

• The present crown of the tree has a circumference of about 1 kilometer and the highest branch rises to about 25 m and has at present 3300 aerial roots reaching down to the ground!

• It is the main attraction of the botanical garden, and till date, no one knows its exact origin and it has been showing up in guidebooks as the world’s widest tree since the 1800’s!                                                                                                                                                                                    (Information credit- Unbelievable Facts)

20170219_120533.jpg

tr.jpg

ad.jpg

Sovon Biswas • Level 8 • Community Moderator • Love to- Travel, Photography, Mapping • Google Fan
Botanical Garden Area, Howrah, West Bengal, India
6 comments
Level 8

Re: Local Guides Geo-Walk in Howrah

Really I'm just so exicted  for attend my Third meet up with local guides ,its really interesting and enjoy a lot   @Sovon

"89425i83C4F110B59EBD53" width="43" height="27" alt="Indian-Flag-Wallpapers-HD-Images-Free-Download-1024x640.jpg" align="left" resized="true" size="small" sourcetype="new"
Former Google Contributor

Looks awesome! I love how you met a tourist and convinced him (hopefully!) to join to Local Guides 🙂

Level 9

Thank you very much 🙂 It's really a great feeling to convince someone to contribute for the Google Maps, like we do, 😄 and it really gets special when he/she's a tourist visiting our place 🙂

Level 8

@HelloJess Thank you 🙂

He was also excited to know more about Local Guides. And it feels really good to share your knowledge with others.

Sovon Biswas • Level 8 • Community Moderator • Love to- Travel, Photography, Mapping • Google Fan
Level 8

Thank you @AshiqueMirza

Level 8

@ReshamDas You are so right!