WPPitchford's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

More Power To Deal With Rude Security Guards.

How do I deal with uncooperative Security Guards?

Some time ago I stumbled upon a missing location: a Consulate. Since I saw no time sign I decided to enter and ask. When I asked the Guard for the opening times he asked "Why do you want to know that?". I replied that I was updating the data on Google Maps because it was missing. He asked me to come in a month to explain "the Googlel thing" to him and to carry a contract with me. I said that an appointment was not necessary and quickly explained how Google Maps works with crowd-sourced data, pointing out that there was no contract to be signed and that I was not asking for money. Even tough I tried to explain that more clients would come if  they could find the Consulate online, he refused to tell me the opening time of the business because he said she did not sign anything, and proceeded to verbally attack me.

Shenyang, Liaoning, China
5 comments
Level 1

Dealing with Foreign Embassies to obtain VISAs.

Quite often, Foreign Nationals from certain Countries cannot be trusted to put it bluntly.

Level 1

Re: More Power To Deal With Rude Security Guards.

The she that I referred to in the last part was my Chinese wife! Ha Ha Ha!

@WPPitchford wrote:
How do I deal with uncooperative Security Guards?

Some time ago I stumbled upon a missing location: a Consulate. Since I saw no time sign I decided to enter and ask. When I asked the Guard for the opening times he asked "Why do you want to know that?". I replied that I was updating the data on Google Maps because it was missing. He asked me to come in a month to explain "the Googlel thing" to him and to carry a contract with me. I said that an appointment was not necessary and quickly explained how Google Maps works with crowd-sourced data, pointing out that there was no contract to be signed and that I was not asking for money. Even tough I tried to explain that more clients would come if  they could find the Consulate online, he refused to tell me the opening time of the business because he said she did not sign anything, and proceeded to verbally attack me.

Level 10

@WPPitchford If they do not want to update their listing do not try to over explain. I also faced the same situation several times and I did not update those locations. Since this a volunteer work Google can not intervene. The listing will only help the business. Try to go there during business hours and ask from management. 

Level 10

Re: Dealing with Foreign Embassies to obtain VISAs.

@WPPitchford Welcome to Local Guides Connect. This is a forum to discuss the Google Local Guides related matter. It is better to raise this issue in the different forum.

Please read "Please Read Before Making Post" by @CorrieD and "Read: Posting on "Share your Photos and discoveries" Board" by @LuisR. You can learn more about posting great posts by reading them.

Please read the rules of the Local Guides program.

Level 10

In situations like this, I take a deep breath (and sometimes ten), and then move on to the next business.