GilbertoR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 3

How I should name franchises?

So in my city map I have seen that some bussiness such as Starbucks, Walmart, Office Depot, McDonald's... pretty much any store that is part of a franchise, is accompained by the place it is, for example: "Starbucks Downtown/5th Avenue/H Street..." and so on. I prefer to see it only with the name of the franchise, but I don't know if that is convinient. So, my question is, should I edit them so it will include the name only? What do you guys think?

2 comments
Level 8

Re: How I should name franchises?

The original poster named it more than likely, but then it may have been changed again since by someone like yourself as another LG with a different idea about how things should be done. It's a little controversial but we need to be looking at correcting other missing information first before we start with the finer detail perhaps. 

As long as the right results come up in the search for nearby coffee shop etc, then I wouldn't overly worry about how it is named, the algorithms pull up the highly rated, frequently visited places anyway, I personally try to get more information on the sites of the local businesses, not because I hate large commercial organisations, but they already have the economy of scale for massive advertising, whereby the smaller local business find it hard. What the local business owner generally does though is provide a better, more personalised service at a reasonable cost.

Everyone knows where the McD's is, but I want to know about the little coffee shop on the side street in downtown New York, that serves pancakes to order, waffles, smoked salmon, and toffee cappuccino - that's the kind of reviews that I'm looking for.

And it's the missing information on that review that I'm more interested in, phone number, website, glorious pics etc.

Level 9
Level 9

Re: How I should name franchises?

@GilbertoR wrote:

for example: "Starbucks Downtown/5th Avenue/H Street..." and so on

Names should be consistent and generally just have the business name, not any descriptors such as location or marketing info ("Smith & Co" not "Smith & Co, Real Estate, Covering Jones County - Best in Town"). Starbucks is often cited with this rule and should always be just Starbucks (not STARBUCKS or Starbucks Coffee and not Starbucks Downtown/5th Avenue/).

You can edit any of these places to correct the errors but you need to beware that they will often revert within days especially if the business is claimed and part of a chain. Even though your edit would be technically correct you might well get a random NOT APPLIED. Try a few and monitor what happens