WarpedHero's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Do changes in Map Maker reflect on your Local Guide points?

Simple question; when you edit or add a place to Google Maps via Map Maker, does it count towards your contribution as a Local Guide?

Thanks.

My original username was 'Alexander' but one day I was forced to change it for no reason and I couldn't take Alexander again lol
5 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 8
Solution

Re: Do changes in Map Maker reflect on your Local Guide points?

Hi @WarpedHero,

For the same type of map edits that can be done in either LG or MM, yes, you will earn the same amount of LG points.

For certain edits in MM, it will not count towards LG points.  Line features are one of them.

View solution in original post

Level 8
Solution

Hi @WarpedHero,

For the same type of map edits that can be done in either LG or MM, yes, you will earn the same amount of LG points.

For certain edits in MM, it will not count towards LG points.  Line features are one of them.

Level 10

@YK1001 wrote:

Hi @WarpedHero,

Well, I have more than 5,200 successful (approved) edits in my MM account: https://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=66&uid=206206608449505999105

And only somewhat over 3,800 points in my LG account: https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/116030646877186188585/photos/@46.514679,17.610436,9z/data=!3m1!4...

I have edited very few lines (added about half a dozen paths) so the difference cannot really be counted for those. 

(Also there's a total number of over 7,700 edits shown there but I definitely do not have over 2,500 pending edits so I have no idea what and how is really counted here and there)

Level 10

@Csaba

Map Maker counts every edit as separate. Local Guides points are counted only 1 point per place/POI - no matter how many times this place was edited. Deletion/closing of POI also doesn't count as LG point. There are also some kinds of places on maps which are not counted as LG points (eg. addresses). Editions of polygons which were possible in Map Maker 1,5 year ago also are not showed in LG points. After summing all of that your LG counter seems very reliable.

Regards,

Jacek

Google Diamond Product Expert - Maps, Business Profile, Earth, Gmail, Accounts | Street View Trusted Photographer | Local Guide | retired: Map Maker Help Forum Top Contributor & Poland RER/RL
Level 8

Hi @Csaba,

Further to @JacekNK has said, there is one Mapmaker forum topic I find related to us here.

This sentence from W12 sums up well "Google Local Guides program is all about business listings."

Please read the thread for the full context.

Level 10

Thanks guys, it makes sense and more clear now. I was not "complaining" just curious though.