ThomasBiziouras's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Ziakas old stone bridge, Grevena, Greece

This is one more of the beautiful traditional old stone bridges of Grevena region in Greece.

Ziaka's bridge was built in the late 19th century. It is located in Velonias river, 4 km before we reach the village of Ziakas. Both the bridge and the village took their name from the chieftain Theodoros Ziakas (1798-1882), a local hero during the Greek War of Independence in 1821.

It has a total length of 41 m. and width: 3.10 m. The height of its main arch is 7.50 m. and its width: 12.40 m.

Ziakas old stone bridge, Grevena, Greece | © Thomas BiziourasZiakas old stone bridge, Grevena, Greece | © Thomas Biziouras

Video:

Professional programmer and photographer by hobby. Living in Grevena, Greece's Highlands!
Ζιάκας Γρεβενών, Ελλάδα
3 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Ziakas old stone bridge, Grevena, Greece

Hi @ThomasBiziouras,

Thanks for sharing your photo of another stone bridge in Grevene, Greece. This one looks a bit higher to me. I think in the past some of bridges were mostly used for trade and taking goods from one city to another through the river. Do you know if this one had a special purpose to be built back in the 19th century? 

Is this video your own? It is recommended to share only your own videos in the community according to our Program Rules.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!
Level 6

According to the French diplomat, explorer and historian François Pouqueville who visited the area during the 19th century, this bridge was part of the Vasiliki Strata (means Royal Road), an ancient road that connected the Epirus and Thessaly with Constantinople (Instanbul). It was mostly used by caravans and traders.

I don't own the video but it is a public video available on youtube, created by my friends Alexi and Christo who own a website dedicated to old stone bridges of Greece. I am sure they will be happy to see their video shared here. I can of course remove it from my post if you think that it violates any guideline.

Professional programmer and photographer by hobby. Living in Grevena, Greece's Highlands!
Level 9

It looks wonderful bridge @ThomasBiziouras 

Thank you for sharing with us.