ValérieE's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

Re: Which language for a review of a place abroad?

Exactly, like that Italian tourists can know the places liked by other Italian people even in a foreign country!

Google should show these reviews first. It would be a very helpful improvement!

But I won't be able to understand your reviews if I don't speak Italian...

Apart from writing the review at least in two languages (English + our own language) I don't find the best solution. 

I am sorry, I try to encourage a critical thinking about this subject. I am in two minds about it...

Level 10
Solution

But I won't be able to understand your reviews if I don't speak Italian...

I agree Valérie, but I think that in future all the reviews will be automatically translated in the reader's language by google, so, if the people write with a good grammar in their native language the translation should be a good one. The system is already used by other services like TripAdvisor and if I'm not wrong also booking.com.

People in future will have to choose from the automatically translated version of the reviews or the original versions.

For this reason I'm writing my reviews in Italian also if I'm abroad. I cannot describes all the experiences in a good english because I should need a vocabulary every time I'm describing my opinion/sensations...If not my review would be very impersonal.

Level 4

Thank you very much, your answer is perfect. So I will keep writing my reviews in French then!

Level 5

Hi

As for me I am speaking Arabia as a native but I used to write reviews in both Arabia and English. So I recommend for you to write reviews in both French and English

Thanks for you important topic.

Level 5

@ValérieE wrote:

Hi the Local Guide Community,

I am French, but I live in the UK. I post my reviews in French only (I give my French point of views to French people) but I am not sure the owners of the different places can understand and it is not very useful for locals...

That is why I was wondering... is it better to write them in my native language or in English?

What are the pros and cons? what are your habits as a foreigner or a tourist visiting another country?

Thank you for your view!

Hi

As for me I am speaking Arabia as a native but I used to write reviews in both Arabia and English. So I recommend for you to write reviews in both French and English

Thanks for you important topic.

Level 4

You're right! Thank you Local Guide Community.

Level 5

Not at all

Level 8

I, personally, adapt to the audience.

In Quebec and France, I use French.

in Canada and the USA, of course in English.

if a location is highly touristic, I may use French, my native language.

That's one of the benefits of being bilingual.

Level 8

hello from greece. Thats a very nice question.to tell you the truth I prefer to use my native language in reviews (greek) even if I could use french or english. But personnally I prefer to use greek so as to help others persons from my country that eventually do not speak english or french.that s why I think google should add a sort by language option for reviews.hope it will come true very soon cause it will be really very usefull.

Level 4

Exactly. Thank you for your view @geos ! Finally, I decided to write an article on my blog about it. 

https://monexperiencevoyage.com/2016/09/24/pourquoi-vous-devez-ecrire-vos-avis-en-francais/ (only in French).

I hope it will help others!