CameronCC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

What happened to the free Google Drive Space With being a Certain level guide or higher?

When I attained a certain level of google guide I was elated to find I had room for more photos to take of businesses for google photos. However I have just recently discovered that the storage has has been reduced to standard though I have kept contributing almost daily to google guides. If there is no point in contributing or storage room for me to do so I have to stop and ask that my contributions be removed if google is going to go back on their offer of space for info on local businesses. Please help me better understand.

Thank you.

-Cameron

Stuart, FL, United States
6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Solution

Re: What happened to the free Google Drive Space With being a Certain level guide or higher?

In my opinion, the "offer" of additional Google Drive storage was understood as temporary.  Do you have any information from Google that states the Google Drive storage "offer" was permanent?

If you upload your pictures to Google Maps (app or website) the pictures are compressed (High Resolution) and saved to your Google Photos.  Because the pictures are compressed the file size will not impact your quota (Google Drive space).

In my opinion, because Google compresses all pictures sent to Google Maps the additional Google Drive storage is not required for Local Guides to contribute.  However, I agree with you that Google should provide Google Drive storage as a perk.  The recent perks for Local Guides do not benefit our contributions.

View solution in original post

Level 9
Solution

Re: What happened to the free Google Drive Space With being a Certain level guide or higher?

In my opinion, the "offer" of additional Google Drive storage was understood as temporary.  Do you have any information from Google that states the Google Drive storage "offer" was permanent?

If you upload your pictures to Google Maps (app or website) the pictures are compressed (High Resolution) and saved to your Google Photos.  Because the pictures are compressed the file size will not impact your quota (Google Drive space).

In my opinion, because Google compresses all pictures sent to Google Maps the additional Google Drive storage is not required for Local Guides to contribute.  However, I agree with you that Google should provide Google Drive storage as a perk.  The recent perks for Local Guides do not benefit our contributions.

Level 7

Wanted to say thank you to Google for all the Temp-Extra-space in Drive. I like that, but this is a good topic in relation to any and all LGs motivation level.. in injecting more info or photos into the Google City Maps.

You know how there are so many phone and web companies etc that like to give away some "higher level of their product" for a limited amount of time and that can bait many people into staying with the higher "premiere level" (or whatever they call it) to where these companies are starting actually earning more income from them.

Well, I am one of the millions who always says.. "Thank, but no thanks: to the generous 6 months of free premium service or whatever it is, because I tend to forget to call them up to opt back out of it after the time period has passed. I pay for a few services, but wasn't pulled in like that. Sometimes it's been made complicated and even difficult to get out of those higher service levels, and often times it's just too expensive after the time period expires compared to what the product actually does to add value. Of course we all like Google products better, but why should Local Guides on-going (permanently) feel motivated to inject info on your maps ..if there are no on-gong (permanent) perks for us to earn? 

I can't make all the Google meetings to hear informative or motivating pep talks, but do feel that Local Guides really should receive some on-going perk that doesn't expire or go away. KurtwVs

I trust that your week is goin’ well--I it's cruising well! Chin up, look up, think others, --
#TravelOnPurpose. Sure, sail-away on the best purpose! ~ KurtwVs IG #fish4peeps
Level 8

"Google Suck" for temporary storage is come my mind.

Level 2

@KurtwVs but Google gave only 1Tb as a perk. My friend got it, but he never used it. He has NAS drive 72Tb, he do not need 1Tb.

Level 10

Hi @CameronCC

The best answer for you is that the free Drive storage was a promotional perk at that point of time. This promotion has now been discontinued and other perks are in place. Perks are always changing or in review, each year something new or different might be given depending on the plan and country partnerships. 

While we all loved the free Drive promotion, alas that is not coming back, and that is also why it should not be the reason why we are contributing and participating in Local Guides. 

You will receive the perks in your email notification depending on the registered country that you are in.

Follow Instagram & Twitter @jhender. SG updates at #singaporelocalguides. YouTube Fun with Maps
Level 6

As a workaround to this, I often post photos directly into the location on Maps rather than storing them in my regular photos location. By uploading them directly into Maps, they are being stored elsewhere/another directory on my Android device. I don't sync this directory with Photos.