AdventuresWithRosy's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

What does the Local Guides program mean to me: Sharing Experiences & Places

"What does the Local Guides program mean to me?"

I think about this question often when writing Reviews, adding Missing Information and keeping an eye out for Missing Places. The answer is always: I love sharing experiences!. I'm the sort of person who sees something or has a great coffee somewhere and I just want to share it with everyone I know... I see a new playground that has been built in my local town and I want to phone all of my friends with children and tell them about it.

One of my favorite views, overlooking my home town of Taupo, NZ from halfway up Mt TauharaOne of my favorite views, overlooking my home town of Taupo, NZ from halfway up Mt Tauhara

That desire to share places and experiences really drives me to add to the Google Maps program. I love being a Local Guide and I'm always looking for missing information or places that have not been added, to help other people.

Tourism is one of the biggest industry's here in New Zealand, we had around 4 million visitors to our beautiful country last year, to put that into perspective there are only 5 million of my fellow New Zealanders in the whole country. With tourism being so important I take pride in adding those missing places that could potentially help a tourist out, especially in my home town Taupo that relies heavily on tourism.

Last year while on a road trip around the East Cape (One of the more remote parts of New Zealand's North Island) I was in a urgent need for a bathroom break and I couldn't find a bathroom listed on Google Maps! I lucky stumbled across one and added it to Google Maps that night. Now I seem to always be on the lookout for missing Public Bathrooms  😂 My focus changed a bit from just taking photos of my food to looking for those missing places and details.

The East Cape Lighthouse, located on the most eastern point of New Zealand its down a long dirt road and up 700 steps! Well worth the journeyThe East Cape Lighthouse, located on the most eastern point of New Zealand its down a long dirt road and up 700 steps! Well worth the journey

I'm looking forward to what the future brings on the Local Guides Platform, my goals for 2020 is to get the Master Directors Badge, Reach Level 9 and connect with other local guides in New Zealand. If you are a Local Guide in NZ lets meet up and share our experiences! 

Much love from Aotearoa (NZ | The Land Of the Long White Cloud)

Bronson

Bronson Dredge

Proud New Zealander | My Contributions | Love going outside, exploring, chasing waterfalls 
& finding Missing Places.

Taupo, New Zealand
22 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: What does the Local Guides program mean to me: Sharing Experiences & Places

Hello @AdventuresWithRosy 

very nice summary of your experience as a Local Guide. There are so many possibilities to contribute. Great!

Would be happy to belong once to the 4 million 😉

Good luck with achieving your badges! 

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 9

Thanks @TorM appreciate your kind words 🙏

Come over to New Zealand sometime, we would love to have you! 😀

Bronson Dredge

Proud New Zealander | My Contributions | Love going outside, exploring, chasing waterfalls 

Connect Moderator

This is interesting. I was right eating a Kiwi and thought about NZ, while I checked now in the internet and it is a fruit from China..... I matched Kiwi only with NZ 😉 Anyway I know you have a lot, so as I love them I need to come 😉 @AdventuresWithRosy 

https://goo.gl/maps/6ascMbAtC6r
Level 8

Hey, @AdventuresWithRosy great story and a great experience. thanks for sharing 

Connect Moderator

Hi @AdventuresWithRosy,

thank you for sharing your experiences as Local Guides, I like your post and the fact of being helpful for others. Btw I love your country, have been several times there and it is one of my favorite country 😊.

| | | | - La decisione più coraggiosa che puoi prendere ogni giorno è quella di essere di buon umore 🙂

Level 7

Hi @AdventuresWithRosy  this very great experince, great picture and great view, can imagine if i be there of course very happy, thank you for share the good place in NZ, hopefully i will be there

Level 9

Haha @TorM  we grow alot of Kiwifruit here in New Zealand! 

For a moment I thought you meant you were eating a Kiwi (The bird aka our National Animal) haha 😂 

Interesting to know that you can get Kiwifruit from China! We get some produce here from China too...

Bronson Dredge

Level 9

Thanks @Ruxellan 😀

Bronson Dredge

Level 9

Thanks @LuigiZ  I use Google Maps all the time to find things so its nice to be able to give back to the platform 😁

How did you find New Zealand? Which parts did you visit?

Bronson Dredge