VickiPilcher's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

What does the Local Guides Program mean to me?

The Local Guides program has opened my eyes to so many new places and spaces. When I’m deciding on a new restaurant or service to use, the first go-to place for me these days is Google Maps. The reviews, ratings and photos from other Local Guides tends to be a deciding factor in my choice of place about 90% of the time.

And thus, since I get so much out of the program, I only feel it is fitting to give back as well.

I’m a photographer at heart and love to take photos of everything. And I mean everything, so much that it irritates my family and my boyfriend. Previously my photos never had an outlet, they would remain on a hard drive or phone, unseen by the world. Discovering I can add some of these images to Google Maps through the Local Guides program was SO exciting for me! There are so often blurry photos, hazy photos or photos of irrelevant things posted to businesses and places on Google Maps.

I have made it one of my missions to add only decent photos to maps. Photos that will be helpful to other users, and to businesses. Photos must capture the ambience of a space; they must add to the written review and star rating.

It’s evident my photos are useful due to the number of views they receive, which often blows my mind! Never did I expect this from the Local Guides program – close to 5 million photo views since joining in September 2018. And, if I look at the stats, there have been almost a million photo views in the last month – wow (…. and thank you to everyone out there who is looking at them).

Not only is the Local Guides program helping me, but it is also helping so many small businesses out there. It makes me so happy when I am able to help in some small way; when using my photographic talents comes naturally to me, and may not be natural to others, ultimately it benefits us all.

As a side note, I have a second Google account (Bog Blog SA) where I review public ladies loos. (I didn’t want to be known as the loo lady, so created a separate account). Contributing on this platform, even though very small at the moment, makes me feel I’m really contributing to the ladies out there. Because it’s really important to be in the know, when you need to go.

These are a few of my favourite photos I’ve contributed to maps at some point in time. ?

JGFO8992.JPGTGRW7135.JPGPhoto 2019-01-21, 18 40 07.jpg

Sandton, South Africa