Anonymous's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

What Do You Expect From An Italian Starbucks?

Alessio Ganci - Local Guide - At Starbucks Garibaldi, MilanAlessio Ganci - Local Guide - At Starbucks Garibaldi, Milan

What do you expect from an Italian Starbucks? This is an interesting question for some people, considering many would be even wondered about the fact Starbucks is in Italy (even if only in Milan). But when you face the reality, you’ll discover not only Starbucks is popular in the Italian capital of fashion: it gives also a different experience compared to your common sessions in a Starbucks coffee shop. Different both in good and bad ways. And so this post will try to make you better understand what does actually mean having a Starbucks in Italy.

#ConnectWritingChallenge

Ops, where is my Frappuccino?

This is for people who automatically associate Starbucks with Frappuccino and White Hot Chocolate. Don’t worry, you will still find them in Italy, but remember Milan does not only features ordinary Starbucks coffee shops, but also a huge Starbucks Reserve Roastery. The Roastery is particular and available only in very few cities of the world, including Milan, but if you are really craving for a Frappuccino, an experience here would disappoint you. Go here only if you are ready to try a new Starbucks experience and delight yourself with deIicious exclusive drinks like the Latte with meringue or the macha cappuccino. For the classic Starbucks experience, you should refer to the Italian Starbucks ordinary coffee shops.

Where is my Pumpkin Spice Latte?

Actually some beverages like the Pumpkin Spice Latte are not available in Italian Starbucks. Anyway you would enjoy to know that there is the opposite side too: it is true you won’t find some drinks you are used to drink outside Italy, but in Italian Starbucks you can find specialties like the Frappuccino with tiramisu, which was once available for a limited time in common Starbucks outside Italy. If you have already tried it and now you miss it, smile and enjoy it again while on a trip to Milan!

WAIT? Pizza at Starbucks???

Yes, you are not dreaming. If you go to the Starbucks Reserve Roastery you can order Italian pizza and focaccia slices in addition to the special Starbucks drinks. This is due to the partnership between the popular American brand and the Italian Princi Bakery.

Can I sit please?

You can spend the whole day at Starbucks if you want, just -/ the philosophy of freedom of the American coffee company proposes. Anyway finding free seats during busiest times is almost impossible in Starbucks coffee shops in Milan. During launch or in the morning, or also in the evening it’s much easier. But Starbucks stores in Milan don’t have actually many seats and the giant Reserve Roastery is now a tourist attraction, so despite being so big, it is always full as well.

Hmm... Starbucks? Italian Coffee?

Don’t worry at all about trying beverages like espresso in an Italian Starbucks. Remember, you are still in Italy, and here Starbucks is very good at making also Italian coffee. If you drink it at the Reserve Roastery. even better, as you can also taste different varieties of coffee.

And food? Where are my panini?

Sorry, this is maybe the biggest difference at all between Italian Starbucks and those outside Italy. If you are craving for your beloved Starbucks panini, in Italy you won’t find them. You will find Italian sandwiches, anyway. And pizza slices, if you go to the Reserve Roastery! You can also still find some bagels. Don’t worry, you will surely appreciate also what Starbucks in Italy can offer!

Dom’t feel ashamed when you walk with the Starbucks cup

Ok, you are in Italy. Okay, you are in the country famous for their traditional coffee. This doesn’t mean you will become a public enemy because you are carrying a Starbucks cup on the road. Okay, lets face it, some old men may disapprove (but the same, they would disapprove eating sushi and other new culinary trends), you are completely okay. Especially in Milan, a city which is open to every culture and to every news, the city in which Italian coffee is not a forced drink, but a proposal. If you like Starbucks, drink it while walking: it’s hardly improbable you will get insulted as a “betrayal of Italian coffee tradition”. Enjoy all the coffee drinks you want when in Milan, Starbucks or not!

Starbucks Garibaldi, Corso Garibaldi, Milan, Metropolitan City of Milan, Italy
6 comments
Level 10

Re: What Do You Expect From An Italian Starbucks?

@Anonymous  nice post my friend! I heard about this Starbucks in Milan, wish to go there.... is "top" level!

This is what I found on Youtube, pretty amazing!

Level 10

What a delightful and enjoyable post @Anonymous 

You made it informative and entertaining!

Cheers 👍

SirB
Three Grand Essentials to Happiness: Something to DO, Something to LOVE and Something to HOPE for ❤
Former Google Contributor

Hi @Anonymous,

Reading your post made me feel like booking my next trip to Milan just for the special experience one can get there while drinking coffee, he-he. : )

I see that there are so many different kinds of coffees, which one is your favorite one?

I know that Starbucks in each and every country is slightly different and you can buy different things while visiting. For example, I got a ceramic Starbucks cup from South Korea with Korean characters in green color and I find it so much beautiful and authentic. I will take a photo of it and share with you. I was just curious are there any kind of similar souvenirs special for Milan one can get from there?

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TsekoV  My favorite drinks are Vanilla Latte, White Hot Chocolate and Frappuccino with Java Chips. When at the Reserve Roastery. I go sure with macha cappuccino or Latte with meringue.

Yeah, Starbucks has many nice souvenirs in Milan. The souvenirs are slightly different in Reserve Roastery and in ordinary coffee shops. 

In Reserve Roastery you mainly get gadgets with the Starbucks Reserve Roastery and T-shirts with the name of the square (Piazza Cordusio). I remember to have seen a Cordusio coffee as well when abroad: maybe Starbucks wanted to honor the square where Italian Reserve Roastery has been opened by launching a drink with the same name. Anyway, a part the t-shirt, most of the other gadgets are not local: they mostly target to the Starbucks Reserve brand. They are still special, being Starbucks Reserve Roasteries few places in the world.

Souvenirs at the Starbucks Reserve Roastery of MilanSouvenirs at the Starbucks Reserve Roastery of Milan

When going to ordinary coffee shops, it’s a different story. Here you will find classic souvenirs like the popular cups with the name of the city. Sometimes, for example during Christmas period, you get also limited edition souvenirs. I remember one of these there were also drawings of Milan skyline and the Italian flag near the Starbucks logo. Most special gadgets like this are generally available on these limited edition periods. Sometimes I also see some new gadgets as well during the rest of the year.

70AAFF87-72F6-48FC-B8B4-3F3A33C50F9F.jpeg

Level 8

@Anonymous 

Thank you for sharing this post to us. I really enjoyed reading it. I haven't been to Italy yet but if I have a plan to do that, I'll make sure I try both Italian coffee and Starbucks there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ant_Bad_Yogi That’s great! Don’t forget to visit the Starbucks Reserve Roastery when on a trip here: it’s really a unique experience!