Mahmur-Marganti's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Wae Rebo, a Tribe at 1,200 MASL

_edited_MG_4596.jpg

Thousands of years alone and reject all developments, far from a modernity. Modern may only be needed by those who ignore peace of mind. If you want to feel the ultimate calm, come to the village of Wae Rebo in Flores, Indonesia. Located at an altitude of 1,200 meters above sea level (MASL), Wae Rebo has maintained its authenticity since their ancestors arrived in this village from Tanah Minang (West Sumatra).

Get There
Flores Island is located in the eastern part of Indonesia, heading to Wae Rebo can be from 2 airports, Komodo Airport in Labuan Bajo and Frans Sales Lega Airport in Ruteng, which is closer to Wae Rebo. Some flights to this airport usually transit from Denpasar, Bali.

64150abd-15e3-47ef-9ba3-eb6e1c0e5cb0.jpg

There is not much transportation to Denge Village (the last village before climbing to Wae Rebo). Only 1 public transportation is available, called Oto Kayu. Oto Kayu is a truck that has been converted into human transport with lined seats, is not comfortable, but don't we want to feel what the Flores people feel?

img_1262.jpg

Along the road to Denge Village there are many beautiful sights that you can enjoy, of course besides the loud music played by truck drivers along the way. The journey from Frans Sales Lega Airport in Ruteng is approximately 6 hours. If you travel from Komodo Airport in Labuan Bajo, you must take the Oto Kayu terminal by public transportation for 5 hours.

img_1287.jpg

In Denge Village you can take a rest, there is a rest house owned by Mr. Blasius Monte, a resident of Wae Rebo who specifically provides his home to anyone who wants to go to Wae Rebo Village. You can order food here and stay overnight before climbing to Wae Rebo Village.

img_1291.jpg

Prepare Physical Before Climbing

It's time to climb. The time needed to climb Waerebo Village from Denge Village is around 4 hours, including several breaks, because some steep roads are very laborious. I suggest using the guide services because the road to be taken is a lot of intersections and the guide also helps carry bags.

_MG_4708.jpg

Many beautiful spots during the trip, do not worry about the availability of drinking water, there are natural sources of water, the water is clear and can be drunk directly._MG_4718.jpg

Welcome to Wae Rebo Village
All tired paid when arrived at the last hill. The 7 peaks of Wae Rebo's typical house building seem to eliminate all fatigue. The guide will ring the sign of the arrival of the guest. Shortly after the sound of the "kentongan", was greeted by the sound of a gasp from inside the house, a sign of our arrival being received by them. "Finally I arrived at Wae Rebo Village !!"

img_1292.jpg

You must obey the rules. One of which is not to take photos before attending the ceremony of acceptance by the Chief of the Tribe Wae Rebo. This ceremony is carried out for approximately 20 minutes. Various readings were read by the Chief of the Tribe, a sign of a request for permission from the ancestors that their village was visited by guests. After this ceremony, we may carry out various activities, including photos of all places. "Ah! I have actually arrived at Wae Rebo Village !! ”_MG_4525.jpg

You can stay here, they make 1 special house out of 7 traditional houses available for travelers, IDR 350,000 per night per person including 3 meals. The local village guide is also fluent in English, you can ask many things about the uniqueness of this village.

_MG_4541.jpg

If you are bored with a modern lifestyle and need essential peace, go to Wae Rebo, you will be kept away from everything that smells of modernity including the phone signal provider and electricity that are not present in this village. Enjoy the Past!_MG_4589.jpg

_MG_4642.jpg

_MG_4689.jpg

_MG_4757.jpg

(Translation from Bahasa Indonesia using Google Translate)

Wae Rebo: Cara Asik Menempuh Dari Labuhan Bajo

Indonesian connoisseurs from Indonesia
Wae Rebo Village, Satar Lenda, Manggarai Regency, East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
8 comments
Level 10

Re: Wae Rebo, a Tribe at 1,200 MASL

Thanks for sharing photos and information @Mahmur-Marganti.

I'm a New Zealander (Kiwi) and currently live in Tauranga. I've previously lived in Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Czech Republic, and England, for a 15 year period. I've travelled to 6 continents and been to 57 countries.
Level 10

you're welcome @TheEagleEye 

Level 9

What an intetedting post snd photos!

Thank you @Mahmur-Marganti for sharing with us!

Level 10

thank you @helga19 have a nice day

Level 9

You have great expierence in this village.,because it is a small piece of the past time.It is unussual trip in Tribe at 1200 .I like such adventures,because it is unique and it is unforrgettable expierence.

Many years ago I also visit  uniwue place in Macao.

Thank you very much for you interesting post and story again @Mahmur-Marganti.

Level 9

Nice post, i really enjoy it @Mahmur-Marganti

Thank you for sharing with us.

Level 10

thank you @helga19

I really like destinations that are still embedded rest of the glory of the past, because it will add gratitude to God.

I was almost going to Macau when I was in Hong Kong, because I had to go to China soon, hopefully next time I can go to Macau.

You can read my story about Indonesia through Instagram, please follow @mahmurshot and I will follow you because I also want to hear stories from you

Thank you again @helga19, nice to chat with you 

Level 10

thank you @AbdullahAM

have a nice day