EmekaUlor's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Volunteerism

"The heart of a volunteer is not measured in size, but by the depth of the commitment to make a difference in the lives of others." - DeAnn Hollis

Saturday 28 April, 2018 was an effusive day for me. The mere sight of children and women in the slum community of Isale Akoka( in Bariga LCDA of Lagos) was a rude reminder that we owe the world some form of sacrifice; a commitment to give our time to help others who are in dire need. We may not ordinarily have the time to spare but our hearty desires to do good should suffice.

Community preparing to watch a boat raceCommunity preparing to watch a boat race

Altruism may be my calling! From the age of 10, I became active in volunteerism by dancing to raise funds for orphanages in Satellite Town, Lagos.

Yesterday was different,large and poignant. It was the meet-up organized by  @HelloSamsonR tagged LG Volunteer Day. Local Guides helped to clean-up community. We also donated some items to support the children and women. And of course we took photographs and made some contributions on the Google map

Local Guides at Isale AkokaLocal Guides at Isale Akoka

Despite the poor condition and challenges this community faces, I was enthralled by the positive air around them - the stickers with positive words, the children learning arts and crafts and the aura of hope!

A typical restroom in the communityA typical restroom in the community

Volunteerism has lots of benefits like acquiring new skills, improving one's resume and earning extra marks or waiver. This is common in developed societies and thus one major reason for the growth of volunteerism. In Africa and Nigeria in particular, there's need to institutionalize altruism in order to pull millions of people out of poverty. Profit based firms can build schools, hospitals and sports centres in communities while they get tax rebates and recognition.

We can just add some colour to some lives no matter how bad the situation might me. As local guides, adding photos, editing maps and writing reviews about this community may be a turning point for citizens living here.

Is it true that America was built by volunteers? Do you spare some time volunteering to touch other peoples lives? Volunteerism or Altruism... Let's Guide the world better!

@ErmesT@PaulPavlinovich@Julien44@OSAMA@iyudhi @IlankovanT @LudwigGermany @U-royFelixA

local boats ready for a racelocal boats ready for a race

“The greatest part of our existence enfold in service of humanity.” - Lailah Akita

xoxo

Emeka

1 comment
Level 10

Re: Volunteerism

@EmekaUlor Wow! I enjoyed every bit of your write up. Volunteerism is a good virtue. Thank you very much for sharing