KentJohnson's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Visiting Yulara & Uluru - Hi-Fidelity 360 Photography + New Listings on Maps

Last month I was on assignment, photographing at Uluru in the Northern Territory,  Australia's 'Red Centre'. I took advantage of my time there add to my Hi-Fidelity 360 portfolio by making photographs of both the resort, it's iconic buildings and surrounds, and of course; the mighty rock, Uluru itself.  And adding some new place markers to Google Maps along with some of these shots. The resort which was opened in 1984 was designed by Phillip Cox & Partners and just this year, 2019 received an Enduring Architecture achievement award. I was keen to do my best to capture the unique feeling of the architecture, this sailing ship of the desert. Although they are a distinctive feature the sails are not simply a design element. They are are real response to the need for shade in such a harsh and hot environment, one where shade trees are few and far between and difficult to grow. Done reading? Cut to the chase and view full Hi-Fidelity 360 HERE or  scroll down to learn more.

KentJohnson_0-1576638202985.jpeg

KentJohnson_1-1576638203162.jpeg

The Cultural Centre Buildings, Museum, Theatre and Town Square

KentJohnson_2-1576638203158.jpeg

KentJohnson_3-1576638203160.jpeg

In addition to the public spaces I also photographed two resort rooms. One from the original Sails development and a second at the Desert Gardens, a classic room with a view, of Uluru. Well with an outlook like that it was time to break out my HDR Hi-Fidelity 360 skills to bring the outside in - and the results I think speak for themselves. Great views, beautiful room shots with styling by Vivienne Shui.

KentJohnson_4-1576638203156.jpeg

KentJohnson_5-1576638203119.jpeg

And of course Uluru itself way out there in the red desert, with due care to respect and not to photograph the areas that are not meant to be seen by the local Anangu people. But should we talk about the flies!!! Well we were warned, and I have been outback before, though it had been a while. I did become quite proficient at shooing them away, hordes of them, though a couple, one or two frames from and early 360 have visitors I could have done without. By the end of that outing I had a pretty much fly proof approach to my technique and some strong images as well; the colours out there really are amazing and have not been enhanced at all.

KentJohnson_6-1576638203143.jpeg

KentJohnson_7-1576638203148.jpeg

Click to Open - Double Click for Fullscreen

KentJohnson_8-1576638203154.jpeg

Back at Yulara, tucked up on the hill behind the Wintjiri Arts Museum and Cultural Centre I found a special little lookout under the Coms Tower you can see from everywhere.. it was not on the resort maps or Google Maps until I added the listing. It looks out over the Tjintu Solar Field with clear views of Kata Tjuta which made for another 360, both scenic and outback industrial in nature. It also served as a terrific location for one of our lifestyle fashion shoots too. It's always worth digging around a little to see what's there.

KentJohnson_9-1576638203146.jpeg

I have 14 Hi-Fidelity 360 images currently in this beautiful online portfolio, with more to come. View the full 360 here https://roundme.com/tour/519683/view/1731259/ and of course on relevant Google Maps listings too - I also listed the car park toilets at Uluru - something that's important, to know where to go! Hope you enjoy the pictures, if you have a chance check out Australia's red centre and Uluru.

Kent Johnson, Sydney, Australia - The World.

Kent Johnson
Yulara NT, Australia