Austinelewex's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Unusual sauce (Carrot stew)

Unlike tomato sauce/stew, carrot stew is a stew prepared with carrots as a primary ingredient. This kind of stew is not familiar to Nigerians. I was introduced to this beautiful stew by a friend and a Local Guide  Architect  Jennifer. @bettajenny 

According to her, "It is a stew diverse because of tomato is a seasonal vegetable in Nigeria,  seasonal here means there is a time in Nigeria especially in the South East region around (August ) that tomato is very glut in the farmer's market and also there is times it is usually scarce and expensive. 

During the time of scarcity carrot stew/sauce becomes handy. Chuckles. ???

IMG_20200314_151329.jpg

picture of carrot stew with boiled rice and chicken drumstick. 

Ingredients

chicken
carrot
yellow pepper
onion
oil
sachet tomatoes
maggi
and other spices

Recipe 

• grind the carrot, pepper and onion to paste
  • pour the oil in a pan
    heat it a little, then add your sliced onions to it
  • I normally fry my sachet tomatoes first because I don't really like the taste
  • then add the grinded carrot to it
  • allow to fry
  • add your spices and chicken stock
  • cover with lid, after few minutes, it's ready to serve
  • you could serve with any cooked rice but I love my with  some basmati rice, sprinkled with a bit of parsley leaves

downloaded image of carrot vegetable. 

IMG_20191103_125341_compress52.jpg

picture of white boiled rice with carrot sauce, chicken breast and fried plantain. ??

Carrot Image  

Would love to ask @OlgaKlimchik @Anonymous @Ant_Bad_Yogi @Ritamega @Designer_Biswajit @Ale_003 @Izumi @mockata2 @AbdusSattar @Nyainurjana  do you know about carrot sauce, do you have another diverse sauce or ketchup that uses another ingredient other than tomatoes in your locality?

If yes please do share pictures with me.

If No, try making carrot sauce using  my recipe I believe carrot is seen all over the globe.

Gracias. ????

Obiagu, Enugu, Nigeria
45 comments
Level 9

Re: Unusual sauce (Carrot stew)

Thanks for sharing. @Austinelewex , send some to me. We are just 45minutes apart

Level 10

@Austinelewex What is "sachet tomatoes", Austin? 

We also have cheap tomatoes only in summer and the beginning of the autumn, so we also rarely add tomatoes into sauses in winter or spring.

I think I make something similar. But I don't grind the carrot, pepper and onion to paste. I grate the carrot and cut the pepper and onion as large as I like. Instead tomatoea I add ketchup or tomato paste, is it the same as "sachet tomatoes"?

And you shoud remember that tomatoes are sour and don't need a lot of time for frying, so it's better to add them after all other vegetables, but before chicken stock, otherwise the vegetables can stay raw. Vegetables take more time to be prepared in sour space.

Level 9

Hahahaha @UchechukwuEnem 

Sure, I will right away.

Thank you for your comment. 🙂

Level 9

Yes your right Olga @OlgaKlimchik 

Sachet tomato is tomato paste package and preserved in sachet. It is a new innovation in Nigeria  owing to tin tomatoes paste.

Hope you understand. 

If you need pictures, I will look it up and share the links. 

Thank you .😊

Level 8

Level 9

Thank you @SabbirShawon 

You should try preparing it during this Lockdown in Bangladesh. What do you think Friend..😁

Level 8

haaha ha will try dear @Austinelewex 

Level 10

Level 9

Exactly the same here in Nigeria @OlgaKlimchik . Exactly the same. 

Even the company Heinz