PavelSarwar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

[Uniquely] in Malaysia: Teh Tarik

Did you know there is an art to pulling tea, with competitions held for the best showmanship? Try a cup at a local mamak stall (The Malaysian Mamak are Malaysians of Tamil Muslim origin). Instant sachets make a great gift for a tea lover.A cup of  Teh tarik with Local Guides badge. Photo Captured from The Chennai Spice Restaurant, Cyberjaya, MalaysiaA cup of Teh tarik with Local Guides badge. Photo Captured from The Chennai Spice Restaurant, Cyberjaya, MalaysiaYes, you are right. I am talking about Teh Tarik. 'Teh tarik' literally translates as 'pulled tea' and is a popular drink which is widely sold in Mamak restaurants. It is a Malaysian Ceylon milk tea specialty.

The Tarik is one of the unique authentic Malaysian Cultures that has transcended beyond race, culture and religion and play a significant role in the daily lives of an ordinary Malaysian. Originating from Malaysia the amazing local beverage is now famous all over the world and it holds a special place in the hearts of those who enjoy it.Teh Tarik: After transferring it from one mug into another mug.Teh Tarik: After transferring it from one mug into another mug.

The preparation of this delicious Teh Tarik is fun as it is made by transferring it from one mug into another, lifting it as high as possible.  In Malaysia, there are occasions where Teh Tarik brewers gather for competitions and performances to show their skills. Teh Tarik is now recognized by the government as an important part of Malaysia’s food heritage and have organized several campaigns and activities to promote its practice.Photo College: Teh Tarik. I captured during i drink Teh Tarik at Nasi Kandar Pelita Seremban GatewayPhoto College: Teh Tarik. I captured during i drink Teh Tarik at Nasi Kandar Pelita Seremban Gateway

Teh Tarik has also surpassed its roadside days and found its way into local mamak, restaurants, shopping malls and coffee house in five-star hotels. If you come to Malaysia, of course drink Teh Tarik.

Basic Information:

Dish Type: Drink

Ingredients: Ceylon Tea, Condensed Milk (sweetened), Water, Salt

Alternate Names: Malaysian Pulled Tea, Ceylon Milk Tea with Condensed Milk, Malaysian Hot Milk Tea

Cuisines: Malaysian, Singaporean, Bruneian

I am trying to highlight the unique things of the countries I've traveled. My all next post related to this topic will be start by [Uniquely]. What is unique in your country or city? This may be the place, food, clothing, culture etc.

Proud to be a Local Guide.
Malaysia
43 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: [Uniquely] in Malaysia: Teh Tarik

That's fascinating @PavelSarwar

I was completely unaware of Teh Tarik, thank you for sharing. What pulled tea means? Can you please describe the procedure of making it? Also, the use of salt has triggered me a lot. Usually, we add sugar or honey. 

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 10

I like so much teh tarik @PavelSarwar Suka sekali. 

This is the most popular tea come from India. In Indonesia spreadly in any City. Thank you for share us a valuable post. 

Level 8

@VasT Next time when i will go to Mamak Restaurant i will try to make a video.

Ingredients:  3 tsp ceylon tea, 2 tsp condensed milk (sweetened), 250 ml water & little bit salt

Steep Ceylon tea in hot water for 3 minutes. Pour tea into a large mug. Add condensed milk using a spoon which is placed in salt water. This is to add some saltiness to the tea.

Pull the tea by transferring it from one large mug to another. Try not to exceed 5 times or the tea might turn cold. To make the tea frothier, pull the tea several times as high as possible but be cautious. Increase the ingredients according to the number of servings. Tea leaves can be steeped up to 3 times.Image showing Pulling teh tarik one mug to another.Image showing Pulling teh tarik one mug to another.

Level 8

@Radjasitanggang can you share how India making it. Is it different procedure from Malaysia?

Level 10

Its almost same how they do to pulled tarik tea. Actually I tried them in Malaysia, Singapore, Middle East also Indonesia. They're Muslim Tamil came from India. 

Former Google Contributor

Thank you for taking the time @PavelSarwar to add more information about Teh Tarik. I will try to reproduce it, but the results will be dubious :D. Perhaps I'll replace the condensed milk with almond milk.

Due to the volume of private messages Google moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!

Level 6

I love “Teh Tarik” so much. In fact, it’s my best drink in Malaysia especially when eating “Nasi Kandar.” Thank @PavelSarwar for sharing with us.

Level 8

@VasT ha ha ha. Please try and don't forget to share with us the your reproduce result.

I am waiting to hear about the your reproduce test.

Level 8

@Dr_Mohhsame to me. When my wife @SumaiyaZafrin lives in Bangladesh that time generally I having my food Mamak or nasi kander. So I love to drink teh tarik with my food. Specially with nasi goreng.