TaliRose's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Uncover Missing Info feature - there's something for everyone!

The other day I was at a loose end on a sunny autumn afternoon so I took myself down to the main shops & promenade area where I live, which also happens to be by a beautiful beach (Takapuna beach in Auckland, New Zealand).

I started snapping and uploading as I went, but then I thought - how do I know if what I'm doing is truly beneficial. I mean, of course, every bit of info and upload helps users at some point in time - but I was in the mood to be ultra effective - after all it was an unplanned 1 hour of downtime and I was determined to make the most of it! So I went into the "Uncover Missing Info" feature on my phone. I think this is currently only available on Android..?

It was so much fun! Felt like an Easter egg hunt, very appropriate as Easter is just around the corner 🙂 I started ticking off point after point, snapping, following the map, editing, uploading. But the most fun part of all was getting to know my neighbourhood inside out and *talking* to people. In order to find the missing info, like phone number, website, opening hours etc., I had to walk into the store and talk to the rep or the owner. And then it dawned on me - these people work (and probably live) on this side of the peninsula - they are effectively my neighbours! And I had no idea they run a vegan cafe, a second hand goods shop, a takeaway, a clothes boutique.

So yes I felt like I was helping to improve Maps to be a better tool for users around the world - but most of all, I was helping myself. And I think that's the true meaning of UX.

What do you think? Have you used the "Uncover Missing Info" feature much? I'm keen to hear others' perspective on it!Takapuna beach on a sunny Autumn afternoon. Auckland, New Zealand.Takapuna beach on a sunny Autumn afternoon. Auckland, New Zealand.

Auckland, New Zealand
1 comment
Level 7

Re: Uncover Missing Info feature - there's something for everyone!

I love this story.  And the picture is awesome too.

I had a similar experience with helping some local businesses correct their info on the maps.  They were completely unaware of mistakes and they really didn't have the resources to get someone to go correct things for them.  I'm especially proud of a the tiny community grocery stores that I'm able to find and the little garden shops.  It feels good to help our neighbors out.