AmitabhDey's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

UNESCO world Heritage Darjeeling Himalayan Railway & The Queen of Hills: Darjeeling, India

In 1828 Darjeeling town established by British Emperor.
Saint Mother Teresa was started teaching in the first convent school of Darjeeling, which one established in 1846.

Darjeeling is world famous for tea leaves. The name "Darjeeling Tea" get Geographical Indication (GI) Tag at 2004. Darjeeling tea also called the fine wine of teas for its special aroma.

Tea trees were brought by the British from China and Tea plantations began spreading rapidly from 1857.

In 1878, Eastern Bengal Railway agent Mr. Franklin Prestage had think about the utility of a rail link between the hills of Darjeeling and the plains. He submitted a plan of two feet gauge railway line from Siliguri to Darjeeling. Mr. Prestage had received the final sanction for his project on April 8, 1879 and formed the Darjeeling Steam Tramway Co.
On September 15, 1881, Darjeeling Himalayan Railway Co. (DHR) established and it was taken over by the Government of free India on October 20, 1948.

Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR) also known as Toy Train runs between Siliguri and Darjeeling of West Bengal.
UNESCO world Heritage Committee declared DHR as a world Heritage site on 5th of December 1999.
This train climbs from 100 Meter (328 Feet) at Siliguri to about 2,200 Meter (7,218 Feet) at Darjeeling.

Sunrise at the top of the Kangchenjunga, captured from Sandakphu at 4 AMSunrise at the top of the Kangchenjunga, captured from Sandakphu at 4 AM

Darjeeling is one of the most popular Hill Tourist Destination of India.
Mesmerizing view of Kanchenjunga mountain range of Himalayan belt viewable from Darjeeling. Kanchenjunga is the third highest mountain in the world. Elevation of Kanchenjunga is 8,586 m (28,169 ft).

Sunrise view of Kangchenjunga, captured from Phalut at 6 AMSunrise view of Kangchenjunga, captured from Phalut at 6 AM

Singalila National Park located on the Singalila Ridge in the Darjeeling district of West Bengal is well known for the trekking route to Sandakphu and Phalut. Sandakphu is a mountain peak of Singalila National Park, located on the border between India and Nepal. Altitude of Sandakphu is 3,636 meter (11,930 ft).

Morning at SandakphuMorning at Sandakphu

Location of this Picture in Sandakphu. 

View of Kanchenjunga from Mount Sandakphu.View of Kanchenjunga from Mount Sandakphu.

View of three mountains from Sandakphu. Makalu peak, Everest peak,  Lhotse peak.View of three mountains from Sandakphu. Makalu peak, Everest peak, Lhotse peak.

Various routes of hiking and trekking of Singalila National Park are famous between mountain loving person.

From this Homestay you can watch sunrise and sunset of Kanchenjunga by sleeping on your bed.From this Homestay you can watch sunrise and sunset of Kanchenjunga by sleeping on your bed.

Map Location of this "Sherpa Nivas" Homestay in Dhotrey, Darjeeling.

Try to book Homestay located between Singalila National Park through Gorkha Territorial Administration Office one month before going.

Homestay in Gorkhey. You can reach on this Homestay only by hiking.  This place surrounded by hills from every side.Homestay in Gorkhey. You can reach on this Homestay only by hiking. This place surrounded by hills from every side.

Map Location of "Denver's Gallery" in Gorkhey, Darjeeling.

Homestay in Gorkhey. Here 100% organic foods available. Factory made Biscuits, Cake, Cold Drink not available here. No mobile network. Solar electric available only at night.Homestay in Gorkhey. Here 100% organic foods available. Factory made Biscuits, Cake, Cold Drink not available here. No mobile network. Solar electric available only at night.

Forest Protection Rules for hiking in Singalila National Park, Darjeeling.Forest Protection Rules for hiking in Singalila National Park, Darjeeling.

How to reach Darjeeling:

Nearest Airport is Bagdogra International Airport in Siliguri. Nearest Railway Station is New Jalpaiguri Station in Siliguri.
You can hire direct taxi from Airport or Railway Station. Or you can avail public bus from Siliguri Bus Stand. Or you can go by shared SUV.
Lots of hotel and tourist lodge available in Darjeeling town. Homestay located in various hilly villages of Darjeeling are very popular among tourists.

I am tagging my travel loving fellow LG with this post.

@Erna_LaBeau 

@Ewaade_3A 

@AdamGT 

@Shrut19 

@TravellerG 

@Anil6969 

@Sagir 

@AnshukMitra 

@FalguniP 

@RosyKohli

Darjeeling, West Bengal, India
9 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: UNESCO world Heritage Darjeeling Himalayan Railway & The Queen of Hills: Darjeeling, India

I love your post @AmitabhDey and I would love to take the Toy Train to Darjeeling.  As well as being a fun trip the views are fantastic.  I love your sunrise snap at the top of the Kangchenjunga and of course the snap of Everest and Lhotse, two mountains I know well.

Leaderboards of Top 100 Local Guides from over 100 different countries!!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: UNESCO world Heritage Darjeeling Himalayan Railway & The Queen of Hills: Darjeeling, India

The Crown had a way with words and deeds back then that motivated the locals to work for free to bring Darjeeling to thee [ sounds almost like a rap song ]

Level 8

Wow thank you for sharing these nice pictures of Kanchenjunga. I am from Eastern Nepal and belong to the lap of Kanchenjunga.

Level 8

Bro you're so lucky to see this place from your naked eyes because i know the place in this image is even 1000 times more beautiful when seeing from naked eyes I really love these pictures @AmitabhDey 😍

Level 9

@AdamGT 

Thank You for loving this post.

This Joy Ride category Toy-Train services have converted into Glass-Roofed, Vistadome Tourist Train within the period of Corona Pandemic by Indian Railways. Distance of this mountain train route is 88 Kilometers. I am waiting for taking a ride on new Vistadome Darjeeling Himalayan Train.

Within the period of Corona Lockdown Indian Railways tried to improve the complete 88 KM long train line and train services.

Level 9

Thank You @Bipin0610 .
I love Nepal for its breathtaking natural beauty. And my love is Kanchenjunga.
My next plan of trekking is Annapurna Base Camp.

Due to economical crisis for Corona Pandemic couldn't visit mountain for a longer period of time. Mountain is calling me.

Level 9

Thank You @Mukul_Anand 

Let's come and enjoy the beauty of Himalayan range from Darjeeling, Sikkim and Nepal.

For trekking in Himalayan range you can choose various trekking operator like https://indiahikes.com.

Level 9

Wow!!! Amazing @AmitabhDey !! All of the photographs are stunning; it's a visual feast!! The Himalayan backgrounnd is breathtaking. The video quality is excellent as well! My friend, this is a fantastic post!

I have also covered another UNESCO heritage toy train of Shimla in one off my ealrier post here. It is not excatly of the toy train but about a station "Barog" on its route.  if you've not checked  it earlier take a look!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Cheers!

| Ajit Thite | “Collect moments, not things” – Aarti Khurana |
My Latest posts :- | Great Place to pause for Some Moments to Live: Ka'Soul Cafe, Pune |
Level 9

@ajitthite 

Thanks a lot for your compliment about video.

I am looking at your post about Shimla Toy Train.

This Darjeeling Himalayan Toy Train have converted into Glass-Roofed, Vistadome Tourist Train within the period of Corona Pandemic by Indian Railways. I am waiting for taking a ride on new Vistadome Darjeeling Himalayan Train.  Now train ticket can be easily book through IRCTC Website.

I have a plan to shoot the complete journey by 360 Degree Camera.