ttomu2's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Translation as a simple contribution

In non-Western countries, maps in the local language can be difficult for foreign visitors to understand.
It is possible to search for a facility by its category, but the pronunciation of the name is not known.
This is especially the case in Japan, where there is no single way of reading the names, and even Japanese people are often unable to read them.
I have been working as a local guide to improve the information on facilities in the neighbourhood and have started to add English names to shops and public facilities in the neighbourhood which do not have English names and which are likely to be used by foreigners. Pronunciation of proper nouns has been given priority.
I recommend that similar work be done in non-alphabetic language areas.
ttomu2
2 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Translation as a simple contribution

Hi @ttomu2

Thanks for posting this. 

I think adding English translations is relevant also in languages based on alfabets.

Maybe you could add a screenshot to examplify how you do it. I still run into places of interest where the owners or well-meaning Local Guides add the English name in the Local language name field. Sometimes using all caps or parentheses.

Cheers 

Morten 

Level 10

Ynt: Translation as a simple contribution

You are right, the letter written in the Latin alphabet is very difficult, the symbolic letter used in countries such as China and Japan.👍🏻 @ttomu2